Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, As you can see ... my first post and as such i'm very noobie to the website and haven't been able to find everything yet. i'm looking for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux Distro built for wireless testing

Hi All,

As you can see ... my first post and as such i'm very noobie to the website and haven't been able to find everything yet. i'm looking for a linux distro that i saw released on a news website sometime last year, which is claimed to be built very much from a wireless security purpose and point of view, its claimed to have all the security programs etc.

Its something simple like knopix where it boots from cd/dvd, however i can't for the life of me find the distro anywhere!

If anyone knows of the distro i'm trying to describe, or could suggest one that would do what i'm trying to describe that would be fantastic.

Cheers in advance!

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what distro that might be but take a look here for a listing of liveCD/DVDs. You can filter the list for security distros to narrow your search if you wish.

Hope you are able to find what you need.
    oz

Distro To Check Wireless

I will have to say, after 6 hours of sifting through dozens of live Linux CDs, that the most straightforward Live Distro for ease of use with wireless is Puppy 3.01, their latest.

It's the ONLY distro I've loaded today that has a "scan" button for sensing live wireless networks as a part of the setup procedure for wireless hardware.

The Network Wizard is a snap. The list of built-in card drivers is a little old, but
    you CAN use ndiswrapper.

I have used a new Netgear WG311T PCI card that uses an Atheros chipset, and an Allied Telesyn PCI card that uses the Texas Instruments AX110/111 chipset with this and other recent Puppy Linuxes and the setup and troubleshooting is a cakewalk compared to other well-known distros.

And this puppy version is only about 98MB in size.

canineloop

Backtrack

Quote Originally Posted by r0cKy View Post
    Hi All,

As you can see ... my first post and as such i'm very noobie to the website and haven't been able to find everything yet. i'm looking for a linux distro that i saw released on a news website sometime last year, which is claimed to be built very much from a wireless security purpose and point of view, its claimed to have all the security programs etc.

Its something simple like knopix where it boots from cd/dvd, however i can't for the life of me find the distro anywhere!

If anyone knows of the distro i'm trying to describe, or could suggest one that would do what i'm trying to describe that would be fantastic.

Cheers in advance!
    I am sure the distribution you are looking for is "Backtrack" by remote-exploit.org. Hope that helps.

Linux Guru
    There are several "penetration testing" distro's...

The Knoppix one is called "Knoppix STD" (security tools distro.) It's a little outdated now.

Backtrack 2.0 is solid and 3.0 is currently beta.

There is also Nubuntu (and others.)

My own preference is Backtrack.