Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to linux servers. you may or may not remember, but I was posting for SUSE a while back. Any who, I have been told to install and configure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

installing apache on mandrake

I'm new to linux servers.
    you may or may not remember, but I was posting for SUSE a while back. Any who, I have been told to install and configure a web server using mandrake. this server is supposed to be a backup for the one we currently have, but with a few upgrades. I managed to get all the IP information correct, but am entirely lost on how to install and configure apache. I've looked at some documentation and am still lost. I would appreciate any help you could give me in this matter.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Did you mean Mandrake or Mandriva? The Mandrake brand is no longer used (they use Mandriva instead) and the latest release is 2008. Setting up apache should be as simple as installing the apache2 packages using urpmi or rpmdrake (the packaging tools. This article will help you with specific details of setting up Mandriva 2008 as a server platform.

thanks for the reply. its mandriva. If only I had the option to install graphically, that would have made it so much easier.

currently my system is up and running as a linux machine. I never had the option of saying what it was going to be used for. the part where you get to choose your desktop, there were three options. 1. gnome, 2. KDE, 3. none. I've even tried a re-install. but to no avail. I've even installed everything that said apache in the add software window, and have the web page designed and ready to go. now all I need is to get apache up and running.

any thoughts, anyone?

(TY for your help in advance)

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    If you have apache installed, then you can run it by doing
    Code:
    #service httpd start
    to start it at boot time do
    Code:
    #chkconfig httpd on
    The web docs should be placed in /var/www/htdocs.