Find the answer to your Linux question:
My issue is a rather ugly one. I'm trying to install some form of linux on an old computer, and the only one that doesn't seem to hang somewhere in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Card / Compiler

My issue is a rather ugly one. I'm trying to install some form of linux on an old computer, and the only one that doesn't seem to hang somewhere in the install process is Xandros. The problem is, Xandros doesn't have support for my wireless card on the CD, or at least I don't think it does. So I've been running back and forth between my online computer and it, trying to get the various packages I need one by one. I started with the 'linuxant' wireless driver which should work for my card (Linksys WMP54G), which told me I needed my kernel source, so I went and got that. The kernel source gave me an error, saying that gcc was not available, and in fact, bash could not find it. So I came back and got gcc, which now tells me cc cannot be found. I'm kind of at the end of my expertise, and just need some advice on what to do. As a last resort, I may lug the computer into the room with the router and connect through ethernet, use Xandros Networks to fix it all up, then carry it back, but I'd really rather not. I'm using kernel 2.6.11 on an i386, and if you need any other info, just ask. Thanks so much in advance. BTW, I have rpm, deb, and source of the driver, the source of the kernel, and the source of gcc.
    Last edited by qikink; 02-24-2008 at 06:43 PM. Reason: more info