Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a newbe with Xandros. I want to migrate some of my Windows XP files to Xandros, such as, Powerpoint presentations, My Docs, etc. Need help to know how... ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

migrating Windows files, docs to Xandros

I am a newbe with Xandros. I want to migrate some of my Windows XP files to Xandros, such as, Powerpoint presentations, My Docs, etc.
    Need help to know how... I have both Xandros and WinXP on this computer, so I dual boot.

Thanks,

David Watkins
    dlwat123@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by dlwat123 View Post
    I am a newbe with Xandros. I want to migrate some of my Windows XP files to Xandros, such as, Powerpoint presentations, My Docs, etc.
    Need help to know how... I have both Xandros and WinXP on this computer, so I dual boot.
    Most (if not all) of your Office documents will work in OpenOffice. That includes Word Docs, Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations. I haven't worked with PowerPoint files in OpenOffice myself, however. I just know they're *supposed* to be supported. I'd burn some of your files to a CD or put them on a flash drive and try to open them in Xandros.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks for your advice. I'll use my flash drive.
    David

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    One more question: How can you uninstall Xandros?
    thanks,
    David Watkins
    dlwat123@yahoo.com

If you have XP installed on the same harddrive, there's two steps. The first is to delete the Linux partition. This can be done from inside Windows XP, in the Administrator Tools menu. I think it's Computer Management-> Storage.

Just right click on the Xandros partition (NOT your NTFS partition) and delete it. Next you'll need to remove the bootloader. You can do this with your XP install disc. Boot from it and go to a recovery console. Type FIXMBR. That should wipe your master boot record and restore the XP default.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Display panel too large

thanks again for your help. On one of my other computers, I installed Xandros. However, the icons are too large... I right clicked on the desktop, clicked on properties to change the settings. However, the display screen was too large to allow me to click on "apply" button. How can I reduce the size of this panel so that I can correct this problem? I attempted to "hide" the panel (which in XP is called the task bar) but was unable. I thought that I could access the "apply" button if I could "hide" the panel... Again, I appreciate your help for this novice!
    Regards,
    David Watkins
    dlwat123@yahoo.com

thanks again for your help. On one of my other computers, I installed Xandros. However, the icons are too large... I right clicked on the desktop, clicked on properties to change the settings. However, the display screen was too large to allow me to click on "apply" button. How can I reduce the size of this panel so that I can correct this problem? I attempted to "hide" the panel (which in XP is called the task bar) but was unable. I thought that I could access the "apply" button if I could "hide" the panel...]
    Hmm.. That's a new one for me. If the window is too large for you to see all your icons, have you considered changing your desktop resolution?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Desktop Resolution

Yes, I've attempted to change my desktop resolution, but I the "apply" button is out of sight due to the size of the display window....Don't know how to change the resolution any other way...thank.
    David

Yes, I've attempted to change my desktop resolution, but I the "apply" button is out of sight due to the size of the display window....Don't know how to change the resolution any other way...thank.
    David
    You might try hitting ALT+A to select the Apply button if you can't mouse to it. You could also use the TAB key to try and select it as well. Since you can't really see it you'd have to use trial and error, but whatever gets you a larger desktop.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    There are some key combinations to cycle through the available resolutions but be damned if I can remember them.

Anyways, open a terminal and type xrandr. This will show you the available resolutions.

Then use the same command to set the res you want, such as

xrandr -s 1280x800
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly