Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm a 15 year old kid, who's made stupid mistakes only a 15 year old can. I installed Mepis on a 20GB Partition I set up on my main HD, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Remove GRUB

I'm a 15 year old kid, who's made stupid mistakes only a 15 year old can.

I installed Mepis on a 20GB Partition I set up on my main HD, and now my computer won't boot. I'm running XP Pro as well as Linux.

After my computer goes through the bios, I get an a Grub 1.5 launch screen, and then an "error 17" message from Grub. I urgently need to revert back to the way my system was before installing Grub (I need to uninstall/disable grub completley), and I've read forums that say how to do so, but I truly don't understand them. If someone could help me out, I'd REALLY appreciate it! (please post in the simplest language possible, I'm pretty tech savvy for my age, but I still have A LOT to learn)

By the way, I've got a Dell Dimension 8100 Desktop, it's a Pentium 4 1.5GHZ Processor, with 256 MB RAM.

THANK YOU!!!

JW.

Hi and Welcome !

Boot up from Windows XP installation CD and select repair. It will drop you at Repair prompt. Execute fixmbr command. It will remove grub and Windows OS will boot up on reboot.

In case it doesn't work ( Windows Installation CD doesn't work in a few machines ), download SuperGRUB CD .iso image and burn it to CD. Boot up from SuperGRUB CD and select 'Fix Windows Boot Loader' option.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!

Idk?

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Hi and Welcome !

Boot up from Windows XP installation CD and select repair. It will drop you at Repair prompt. Execute fixmbr command. It will remove grub and Windows OS will boot up on reboot.

In case it doesn't work ( Windows Installation CD doesn't work in a few machines ), download SuperGRUB CD .iso image and burn it to CD. Boot up from SuperGRUB CD and select 'Fix Windows Boot Loader' option.
    I have the windows installation disk, but I have no idea what to type when I boot with it. Also, I'm running off a Live CD version of Linux, so I don't know how to save/burn anything.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jwal02 View Post
    I have the windows installation disk, but I have no idea what to type when I boot with it.
    Boot with the WinXP CD

Select Repair

Enter the following command at the prompt, then press ENTER:

Code:
    fixmbr
    oz

Just Joined!
    what I have is the upgrade edition to XP, would this make a difference?

oz
    forum.guy
    Not sure, but I think it will work.

Try it and let us know.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I never got a prompt... it took me to some screen with like 3 options, one of them was repair. I selected that one, and then it gave me a screen with "C:/Windows>" showing, and I had no idea what to type. I tryed the "fixmbr" but it wouldn't accept it.

AHHH!!!

(I'm about to rip my head off)

I've got a friend burning me the SuperGrub CD, so I'll have to see if that'll work.

I'd still appreciate help with the XP disc though!!!

Again,

THANKS!!!

What error message fixmbr is throwing?
    Do you have Floppy drive in your machine?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Linux User
    and then it gave me a screen with "C:/Windows>"
    You are likely being asked what windows you want to boot to for repair. Enter 1, then at new screen enter fixmbr then when it has done its thing enter exit.

For the record even a repair install would repair the MBR. Though you would have to update Windows.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast