Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm expecting my EEE very shortly. When playing with one in a shop I noticed Firefox is a little behind. Further there seems to be no way to update it. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Firefox on ASUS EEE PC

I'm expecting my EEE very shortly. When playing with one in a shop I noticed Firefox is a little behind. Further there seems to be no way to update it. So I'm expecting to have to do a fresh install - Probably of Firefox 3. Any ideas as to how to do that.

Same question for Thunderbird.

NOTE: I have NO experience of installing software on Linux - but I expect to learn.

You can amend your repository list to point to the latest software. When you get the PC post the contents of /etc/apt/sources.list and we will see what we can do.

You're new to this, so I will give you one piece of advice...don't be tempted to download and install manually from mozilla.org. There is a way that is a lot better and cleaner, so we'll try to point you in that direction and get you started.

Just Joined!
    Thanks! One thing I'm NOT new to is Firefox. So I ASPIRE to downloading Nightlies. I expect this will be more difficult. It's NOT essential as I DO already run Firefox 3 Nightlies on my work laptop.

I'd also like to add Firefox extensions. I would hope an updated Firefox would allow me to do that.

Just Joined!

Did this get anywhere?

Hi

I've got exactly the same problem. Just bought an eee and want to update firefox, mainly to get the java console so I can use citrix for work. Can you guys or anyone else help?

Thanks

Just Joined!
    The default \etc\apt\sources for the eee pc is:

deb Index of /p701 p701 main
    deb Index of /p701/en p701 main

I'm guessing we would need to point this at a Xandros repository to get a FF upgrade?