Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi guys,i'm new in Linux so i need a little help I have Sabayon Linux 3.4 miniEdition but it doesn't wants to boot I'm using WinXP Pro. Does that changes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Sabayon Linux 3.4 miniEdition help

Hi guys,i'm new in Linux so i need a little help I have Sabayon Linux 3.4 miniEdition but it doesn't wants to boot I'm using WinXP Pro. Does that changes anything?And pls help me about the booting.

Just Joined!
    Hey Dark,
    I'm currently using Sabayon 3.4 mini edition on my laptop and I'm really happy with it, I hope things work out well for you.

The operating system you are currently using shouldn't impact the installation of this OS.

What happens when you insert the CD? Does it bring you to a failure screen or does it simply not recognize that it is bootable and bring you to windows? Did you checksum the iso that you downloaded or tried to reburn the CD?

-Ken

It's alright now,a friend helped me But i need another thing from you Can u tell me how to install it on a HDD with installed WinXP Pro?Do i need a different partition and which format should it be?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAssasin View Post
    It's alright now,a friend helped me But i need another thing from you Can u tell me how to install it on a HDD with installed WinXP Pro?Do i need a different partition and which format should it be?
    I haven't install Sabayon in a while, but the installer should offer to shrink your XP partition for you. Before you do this I very strongly recommend you backup any important data on the XP drive just in case. 99% of the time nothing goes wrong, but I've been that 1% every once in a while. It might also be a good idea to run defrag on the XP drive just to make sure there aren't any stray pieces of files on the end of your drive you're going to use for Linux.

If the installer handles the shrinking for you, it will also format the partition with what it needs, so there's no need to do anything special there.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Ok,i shall try that.And do i need any anti-virus software to safely browse the internet?Or Linux is safe without it?

Linux is safe. Check this short security guide though.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Ok,i shall try that.And do i need any anti-virus software to safely browse the internet?Or Linux is safe without it?
    Take a look at casper's link. It's handy. In general the only reason you'd need anti-virus in Linux is if you're on a network with other computers that are running Microsoft Windows. Viruses made for that OS won't affect Linux, but Linux can unknowingly pass along virus-infected files if it doesn't scrub them first.

If that's not an issue for you, you should be safe just following the guidelines casper linked to.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

That stuff is verry useful Thanks for your help guys.I appreciate that

That stuff is verry useful Thanks for your help guys.I appreciate that
    Is there anything else we can help you with? If not, I'll mark this thread as "resolved." I don't mean to rush you; I'm just itching to try out the new resolved button.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

There is two more things to ask and then you can mark the thread as resolved Which desktop acceleration is best:No Desktop Acceleration,AIXGL or XGL?Which will give best performance?And do i need a bootloader like GRUB to choose whichOS to run?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast