Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, Itís a nice feeling entering Linux OS community for the first time, especially because I am on a serious task to switch all computers from my office from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Best Linux distro for a not fast machine

Hello all,
    Itís a nice feeling entering Linux OS community for the first time, especially because I am on a serious task to switch all computers from my office from commercial OS like Windows XP SP2 to some good Linux distro.
    I hope and I am sure Iíll have good and useful time in here.
    Now, I would like to mention what exactly I need help with.
    I am managing an NGO office with less then 10 quite old machines. And the average computer power is: AMD Athlon 600MHz with 256-512 RAM.
    Unfortunately there is no plan to upgrade hardware in the near future, and yet I have to do the switch to Linux for licensing reasons.
    Could you Linux gurus advice me what is the best and most user-friendly Linux distro for an Athlon 600MHz machine?
    I would like to mention that it would be nice from all those many Linux distros available out there to install a distro that is really compatible with most device drivers and has lots of software available for it, so I will not have to spend the first half of the day installing a printer driver, and the second half trying to find a Linux compatible software for doing some simple tasks.
    Thanks you very much in advance and best regards.
    Cheers everyone!

Could you be more specific on the hardware of these machines? A 600mHz processor is plenty of power for a lightweight distribution, so the main bottleneck you'll run into is harddrive space and the size of your RAM. Also, what kinds of video devices do they have?

You *might* be able to run something like Xubuntu on them if they have enough RAM (192MB or more). If not, take a look at the "older hardware" post in this thread:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...e-posting.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks for info.
    Its about 128-256 RAM, 40-80 GB HD, regular 8-16 MB Video, on-board.

Quote Originally Posted by Azmandius View Post
    Thanks for info.
    Its about 128-256 RAM, 40-80 GB HD, regular 8-16 MB Video, on-board.
    Well, that probably won't run Xubuntu very efficiently, so you might consider something lighter like Vector Linux or Damn Small Linux. You mentioned these were office computers? Office users would probably be more comfortable with Vector Linux. It's a little more graphical but not quite as resource-heavy as Xubuntu.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Hi again,
    Considering forum info and many articles I have read I have come with a few selected distros.
    I would really appreciate if you could help me by pointing me to one of these distros to be installed on machines with Athlon 600MHz CPU with RAM varying from 256 to 512 and HDs from 40 to 80GB.
    Here are the distros choose by me:
    Xubuntu
    Vector Linux
    Puppy Linux
    Ubuntu 6.06
    Slackware 10.2
    Fluxbuntu

Which one do you recommend me to use?
    Also I would like to use this opportunity for finding what is the best alternative for Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint) if using Linux, and does Linux accept lets say Office 2000 at all? I have 10 machines license for Microsoft Office 2000, and was wondering if Linux accept that software?
    Thanks again to everyone helping me with this transition.
    Regards

You should also consider DeLi Linux which bills itself as a distro specifically designed for older slower hardware.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Azmandius View Post
    Hi again,
    Considering forum info and many articles I have read I have come with a few selected distros.
    I would really appreciate if you could help me by pointing me to one of these distros to be installed on machines with Athlon 600MHz CPU with RAM varying from 256 to 512 and HDs from 40 to 80GB.
    Here are the distros choose by me:
    Xubuntu
    Vector Linux
    Puppy Linux
    Ubuntu 6.06
    Slackware 10.2
    Fluxbuntu

Which one do you recommend me to use?
    Puppy and Slackware are geared more toward computer hobbyists who like to do a lot of manual tweaking. If you're going to be using these in an office setting you probably want the OS to resemble Microsoft Windows as much as possible just to keep your office mates from getting too uncomfortable. In that case, I personally would recommend Vector or Xubuntu/Fluxbuntu.

I would *not* recommend Ubuntu 6.06. Not only is it an older distribution, it's not likely to run on your machines anyway due to its high RAM requirements.

Also I would like to use this opportunity for finding what is the best alternative for Microsoft Office (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint) if using Linux, and does Linux accept lets say Office 2000 at all? I have 10 machines license for Microsoft Office 2000, and was wondering if Linux accept that software?
    Thanks again to everyone helping me with this transition.
    Regards
    Linux will not run Microsoft Office, but there is a Linux program that will open and save most (if not all) Microsoft Office file formats. It has word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation abilities. It's called OpenOffice.

OpenOffice.org: Home

The problem I see is that OpenOffice is a pretty resource-intensive application (much like Microsoft Office) so it will likely run very slow or not at all on the systems you describe.

For Word-compatible word processing there are alternatives, such as AbiWord. I can't say what you might use for PowerPoint or Excel alternatives though.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I think what you are looking for is vector linux...try soho...small office home office. or vl5.9 std gold deluxe. this system has a good installer, good hardware detection, uses xfce4 window manager which has a start button and double click icons to get you started. it also includes fluxbox and jwm window managers for the lesser of your boxs and works well on 600mhz with 256meg ram and can run on less. it includes nvidia and ati propriatary and generic vid drivers and a variety of snd card...the install does not require a lot of drive space..I think 4-6 gig will install with some free space..I just installed5.9gold to a 600 with 256 on 4gig and it is running very well..The 5.9 version I am testing includes firefox,opera and seamonkey browsers so no worries there, std gold includes abiword and gnumeric,you can install open office. The soho includes open office..your biggest issue would likely be vid driver choice. I say this as you have several units...I had no issue.
    hope you find something that works well for you...was just testing vl so thought it may help.
    cheers

Linux Newbie
    I'd go with anything Slackware-based.

I would probably go with Zenwalk. But the other slack-based distros are also a good choice. I just like the simplicity of Zenwalk, and they do a nice job with XFCE.

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much people.
    A liked especially techieMoe's reply. Very direction-pointing.
    Regards.