Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, I want to take LFS build with kernel version 2.6.23. Is there any profile available to build the same? Should i need to right my own profile to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LFS Profile for building kernel 2.6.23

Hi All,

I want to take LFS build with kernel version 2.6.23. Is there any profile available to build the same? Should i need to right my own profile to do so?

Awaiting early reply.

Best Regards,
    Murali

LFS uses 2.6.22.5, if you want to use the same profile in 2.6.23.xx you can, a new module in 2.6.23.xx will not be selected for compilation, but this will not hurt unless you are looking on something special.
    Linux is not only an operating system, it's a philosophy.
    Archost.

Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks. But i have been doing the following things.

1. I downloaded LFS 6.3 livecd (lfslivecd-x86-6.3-r2160) and checked the contents but i could not find the associated "Profile" folder in the CD. It contains 2.6.22.5 kernel version. My motherboard DG33FB does not support kernel versions below 2.6.23.
    2. So, I wanted to build LFS with kernel version 2.6.23. I searched through the internet but i could not get any associated "Profile" for building LFS with 2.6.23.
    3. My questions are:
    a) Is there any Profile available already to use for building LFS with 2.6.23?
    b) should i need to prepare my own Profile to do so?

Please advice me on the above things.

Best Regards,
    Murali

I don't think there is a profile available for building LFS with 2.6.23, what i don't understand is the fact that your MotherBoard doesn't support kernel below 2.6.23 ?

You need a file called .config to be putted in the kernel source tree before compilation, LFS doesn't provide one, but there is this link wish can help you building your kernel Index

creating your own kernel profile is not an easy job, if you miss something important your system won't boot, you can try to make your profile by typing make menuconfig in the kernel source tree.

i have .config file for 2.6.23.16 used in my box, but i configure it for my system! but if you want i can send it to you to have a look on it.
    Archost.

Linux Engineer
    You could use the dev book of LFS instead of the stable if you wanted, it's got newer stuff and generally works fine. I'm not understanding what you mean by profile though, are you talking about kernel .config? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by muralitharanperumal View Post
    I want to take LFS build with kernel version 2.6.23. Is there any profile available to build the same?
    profile here means here the kernel configuration.
    Archost.