Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I have Gos running in a third party software called "Moka Five Creator" which allows me to switch between Gos and windows at a click. I am pleased with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gos... I want to

Hi. I have Gos running in a third party software called "Moka Five Creator" which allows me to switch between Gos and windows at a click. I am pleased with how it works.
    ...All well and good BUT. I would like to install Gos as stand alone "without windows"...
    What concerns me is getting all my hardware that works in windows to work withing this Linux form.
    ie I don't know how to get all my usb hardware like camera, phone, external hard drive In fact All my hardware. Is there a fairly easy Newbie way of achieving this without having a nervous breakdown. I am 68 with a reasonable knowledge of PC's but not Linux.
    I also will need to get rid of windows off my PC in the process.
    Any help will be gratefully received with my thanks.
    Brian (ecrivain5)
    PS Gos is ubuntu based and I like using Ghost.

Hi ericvain5,

I do not know Gos Linux, but since it's Ubuntu-based it should have some of the best automatic hardware detection available.

Unfortunately there's no "super quick newbie get all your hardware to work under linux" article out there for the mere reason that not everybody's hardware is the same.

If you know the exact models of hardware you have (e.g: the exact model of your webcam etc.) you should post it here, I'm sure the community will be more than willing to help.

I think the main reason your external HDD might not be working is because it is probably using Windows's filesystem (NTFS) which is not compatible with Linux by default.

There are THREE ways of dealing with this, firstly (considering you are switching to Linux) you could format the HDD to an ext2/3 partition that's compatible (but then wouldn't be compatible on windows systems again)

or..

you could format it to the FAT filesystem which is compatible on both Linux and Windows (however FAT is not the best known filesystem around, yet most compatible).

Thirdly you might want to give your Linux NTFS READ/WRITE support so you can read the drive.

Here's a tutorial that will show you how to do that

In case you don't know the hardware you have you might try running this in your shell/command-line under Linux and post the outputs here.

lspci

&

lsusb

Good luck!