Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been trying to install Puppy Linux 3.00 for about a week now and out of the many ways that puppy can be installed or used in a useful ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy puppy very difficult

I have been trying to install Puppy Linux 3.00 for about a week now and out of the many ways that puppy can be installed or used in a useful way(with a flash drive to save work and settings) I haven't had any luck.
    I have tried saving my work and settings to a flash drive. That hasn't worked on 2 PCs so far.After following instructions to save to the flash drive and hitting "ENTER" I get a message saying I've got to wait a while. Nothing happens after that. When I finally crash out after 20mins and check the pup_save file, it is corrupted and unusable. Ive tried to save it to a hard drive by partitioning the drive(hda1(primary partition), and hda2(extended partition). I installed GRUB and created a boot floppy neither of which worked.
    The hard drive wouldn't boot. When it started, the word "GRUB" appeared on the screen and that's where it stopped. The boot floppy asked for the path to find the puppy files and after every combination imaginable I had to give up.The entries I tried were IDEHD/boot, IDEHD/boot/grub, IDEHD/boot/grub/menu.lst, IDEHD/hda, IDEHD/hda1 etc etc.
    I've installed many Linux distros and this is the hardest. An old version of live Puppy booted off cd and went easily onto the net but Puppy 3.00 wouldn't connect at all.
    I would really like to get past this difficulty because it looks like a good OS that could revive a lot of otherwise dead and old PC's that I know of. Any ideas gratefully received. Bye
    Regards richag99

Linux User
    By the time you wrote this, version 4 was just coming out. Although your problems are probably unrelated to this, it is almost always a good idea to pick the latest version.
    Furthermore, have you checked the FAQ? Puppy news
    Several questions/answers in there are related to saving files prior to shutdown. The combination of CD (for OS) and flash drive (for files) has worked for me all the time. Connection problems were invariably fixed by resetting the router or reconnecting cables and never a result of Puppy itself.

Hope this helps

Just Joined!

I'll get Vers 4 and try again

Thanks technossomy,
    I have got a new more linux friendly modem router now (Dynalink RTA1025W) and I'll get the new Puppy 4 and try again. I've been very impressed with the software and its speed on old machines. Bye
    Regards richag99

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by richag99 View Post
    Thanks technossomy,
    I have got a new more linux friendly modem router now (Dynalink RTA1025W) and I'll get the new Puppy 4 and try again. I've been very impressed with the software and its speed on old machines. Bye
    Regards richag99
    If its a broadband modem, enable DCHP in it to ensure that you don't have to go through the pains of configuring the distro each time you boot from it.

And do try Samn Small Linux once. Just install GNUtils instead of BusyBox and Replace the JWM with IceWM or Fluxbox and you should be fine.

Both distros released their new versions recently. Puppy 4 and DSL 4.4
    A man learns from his experience. A smart man learns from the experience of others, while a smarter man experiences life after knowing other's experiences.

BE THE SMARTER MAN.