Find the answer to your Linux question:
At the risk of sounding very dumb, here goes.... I'm trying to set up a vmware server on my windows server that will run linux so I can set up ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Help instilling Linux in vmware on windows please

At the risk of sounding very dumb, here goes....

I'm trying to set up a vmware server on my windows server that will run linux so I can set up a place to store clonezilla images and maybe install squid as a proxy.

I have a livecd of fedora 8 which boots fine on a regular windows machine. Is it possible to start the vmware virtual machine and have it "boot" from the live cd so I can install fedora? When I put the cd in the drive and start the vm with the cd connected, it tells me no OS is found.

I also downloaded DSL linux from ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/damnsmall/current and got the vmx.zip version for vmware, but I'm not sure what files to burn to the cd. I'm having the same problem as this guy: DSL LiveCD

If this can be done, what's the best way to install linux in a vmware vm?

Sorry for being such a linux newbie and thanks for any help,

Maureen

Just Joined!
    download an actual install cd, not the live version. burn it, have vmware boot from it, install.

The DSL .vmx u dont need to burn it. Just extract, open your vmware then press "open virtual machine" button. Now, locate your dsl.vmx file..