Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm basically wondering which is the best Linux distro for compiling applications from source....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Linux for compiling from source code?

I'm basically wondering which is the best Linux distro for compiling applications from source.

oz
    forum.guy
    You can do it with any distro, but Gentoo might be the most popular one that does it by default. The best would be purely a matter of opinion.
    oz

Just Joined!
    By best I mean one that generally works. I've tried compiling on various distros and some things work on some, others don't, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Surreal Killa View Post
    By best I mean one that generally works. I've tried compiling on various distros and some things work on some, others don't, and vice versa.
    That's mostly just a matter of having the correct packages installed, Whatever they may be. All Linux distro's will compile source code as long as you have the Dependencies met.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Far less known than Gentoo, but an excellent distro to compile from source is CRUX.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

If you're really into compiling and understanding the nature of Linux and why certain things compile on certain distributions you might want to try LinuxFromScratch (LFS).

Basically, they take you step-by-step through compiling your own Linux distribution package-by-package. That way you will learn quite a lot, understand the dependancy factor and understand what's actually being utilised when compiling etc.

Best of all is, it's not really that hard because you just follow the steps. Gentoo is equally adequate though I suppose.

Whatever floats your boat

Why are you looking for a Linux Distribution that is best at compiling applications from source ?

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dxqcanada View Post
    Why are you looking for a Linux Distribution that is best at compiling applications from source ?
    i may not be the one who posted the thread, but may i please answer this? ^^ i was googling and then i registered..

uh. im a mandriva user and i download source archives for offline installation. i dont have an internet connection all the time.

the problem i always encounter is that i cant compile em because i lack a lot of dependencies..

hopefully i made sense..

To meet dependenciy issues I'm pretty sure you need to be connected to the net to install said needed dependencies. Or write what they are on a piece of paper and download later and copy to whatever storage medium you are using to install source archives. I think. Never done it that way myself so I aint sure.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    i tried to do that.

takes a lot of time. and sometimes, dependency A dependends on dependency B, which dependes on another dependency..

how i wish there was a distro that had almost all compilers and libraries(or whatever is needed for most apps).