Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm looking to install PuppyLinux on a 6G harddrive, 190 MB RAM. I erased the drive (using dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=10M) and then put an MSDOS disklabel on it. I'm ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Setting up for PuppyLinux - Partitions? Sizes? Swap?

I'm looking to install PuppyLinux on a 6G harddrive, 190 MB RAM. I erased the drive (using dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=10M) and then put an MSDOS disklabel on it. I'm now about to partition the harddrive and I was wondering what partitions to make and what sizes they need to be.

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    you don't need to use dd to erase a disk.
    I'd do a 50mb /boot
    I'd do a 256mb swap
    I'd do the rest as /

but then again what do I know?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by proprietarysucks View Post
    you don't need to use dd to erase a disk.
    I'd do a 50mb /boot
    I'd do a 256mb swap
    I'd do the rest as /

but then again what do I know?
    (A lot more than I do about this stuff. )

Thanks. Couple questions:

1. Why do i create a 50MB "/boot"? When i installed OpenSUSE on another comp. I only had to create "/", "/home" and "swap".

2. Do I need to put anything in boot or will Puppy's Installer do all that once I have the partitions?

3. Do I create them all as Primary partitions or should swap be extended?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    There is no need to create /boot partition and it doesn't matter if you create Partitions as Primary or Logical.
    I would recommend this Partition Structure :

* SWAP -- 256MB
    * / -- rest of free space in ext3 filesystem.

Create /home if you want.
    Start installation and select Manual Partitioning. Assign / mount point to ext3 partition and /home to other ext3 ( if you have created partition for /home ). Installer will detect SWAP partition itself.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    There is no need to create /boot partition and it doesn't matter if you create Partitions as Primary or Logical.
    I would recommend this Partition Structure :

* SWAP -- 256MB
    * / -- rest of free space in ext3 filesystem.

Create /home if you want.
    Start installation and select Manual Partitioning. Assign / mount point to ext3 partition and /home to other ext3 ( if you have created partition for /home ). Installer will detect SWAP partition itself.
    THANKS! That's a huge help. Are there other steps I need to go through to make it bootable? I read that I need to take steps to install GRUB, or does the installer handle that?

One other thing: GParted allowed me to make the partitions but not to name them. How do I do that?

Are there other steps I need to go through to make it bootable? I read that I need to take steps to install GRUB, or does the installer handle that?
    Installer take care of everything. It will install GRUB itself.

One other thing: GParted allowed me to make the partitions but not to name them. How do I do that?
    You dont have to name partitions. Just create partitions and format those in ext3 or SWAP filesystems. Start installation and assign mount points in Partitioning Section.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Installer take care of everything. It will install GRUB itself.

You dont have to name partitions. Just create partitions and format those in ext3 or SWAP filesystems. Start installation and assign mount points in Partitioning Section.
    Thanks!! Install is up and running and I just set up ethernet and now I'm on the internet.

Glad to help you !
    Do start a new thread if you have any other question.