Find the answer to your Linux question:
Where's the bash prompt in Puppy? And how do i find apps, etc? Is there a gui?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Where's the bash prompt? And is there a search gui?

Where's the bash prompt in Puppy? And how do i find apps, etc? Is there a gui?

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and assume that you are confusing bash with a terminal (xterm, aterm, konsole, etc.). Bash is a scripting language, and is in fact one of the ones which is commonly used in a terminal (i.e. any bash commands that you type into a terminal will work). If this is not your issue please let me know.

gui:
    I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for here, but do you have a window manager installed (kde, gnome, fluxbox)? Some window managers have utilities to automatically fill their application menus. If you want to search for files you can use the command locate (or slocate depending on the system)

Example

$ slocate probability*

~/.kde3.5/share/apps/RecentDocuments/probability.r.desktop
    ~/probability.r~
    ~/probability.r
    ~/probability.r

There are gui based desktop search tools such as beagle as well that you can install.
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

I speak under correction but I think from what I can remember back in the day that Puppy uses xterm as its terminal. As for a GUI search you'll probably have to download beagle, unless you get yourself a desktop environment like Gnome or KDE which have built-in searches by using CTRL+F buttons and typing in what you're searching for.

Bealge however is very cool and even searches phrases in documents, textfiles, mail, browser cache and of course all your directories.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close