Find the answer to your Linux question:
Are there any things I can do to configure Linux (how the swap is used, size of swap, harddrive usage, anything...) to make it run faster? I'm running on an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Any configurations to speed up linux?

Are there any things I can do to configure Linux (how the swap is used, size of swap, harddrive usage, anything...) to make it run faster? I'm running on an old computer with limited RAM so anything I can do to optimize it would be great.

What distribution are you using? First thing I would do is switch to a light window manager like XFCE or Fluxbox. There are probably a few services you can shut down too but that would depend on your distro and what you are using the computer for. Can you give more details around that?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    What distribution are you using? First thing I would do is switch to a light window manager like XFCE or Fluxbox. There are probably a few services you can shut down too but that would depend on your distro and what you are using the computer for. Can you give more details around that?
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm using Puppy Linux 4.0. I'm using it as a desktop.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    How much RAM does the computer have, and what is the CPU speed?

I use Debian 4.0 for all of my computers, and have some experience slimming things down and speeding things up. I've never used Puppy, but since it's designed to be small and lightweight, it probably already includes plenty of optimizations.

My latest Debian install is onto a cute litte Libretto 70CT, a 120mhz Pentium laptop with 32megs of RAM. With only 32megs of RAM, each meg counts! Eliminating redundant console screens saves 2megs. Using aterm instead of xterm saves another 2megs. I type in the command "startx" instead of using a graphical login manager. Using no desktop background saves 1meg. Using IceWM with the IceCrack2 theme seems a meg lighter than even jwm.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

I type in the command "startx" instead of using a graphical login manager.
    How much do you save doing that? Anyway, for my two cents, installing Fluxbox or something like it (IceWm, for instance) is the first thing to do. You'd be amazed how much faster it is than bloaty Kde or Gnome.
    Distribution: Archlinux
    Processor: 3 x Amd 64 bit
    Ram: 4 GB
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT