Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using Puppy Linux 4 and I can't figure out how to adjust the monitor brightness so I was wondering if there's a way to do it from the command ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How adjust monitor brightness from command line?

I'm using Puppy Linux 4 and I can't figure out how to adjust the monitor brightness so I was wondering if there's a way to do it from the command line.

You may be able to adjust LCD Brightness if you have a /proc/acpi/video/VGA/lcd/brightness file.

A number of laptops have built in Fn keys to control it ... my Compaq nc4200 uses Function keys.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,
    but most of them pick themselves up
    and hurry off as if nothing had happened.

Winston Churchill

... then the Unix-Gods created "man" ...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dxqcanada View Post
    You may be able to adjust LCD Brightness if you have a /proc/acpi/video/VGA/lcd/brightness file.

A number of laptops have built in Fn keys to control it ... my Compaq nc4200 uses Function keys.
    A few things:

1. My laptop does have Fn keys and using them with the brightness key freezes the computer every time
    2. There is no folder /proc/acpi (I'm using puppy linux)
    3. I tried xgamma but that only alters the contrast

I'm really dying here -- the screen is super bright. Please, anything you can do to help me figure this out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I've use the function keys on these laptops successfully in the past when running from LiveCD. I would look into updating the BIOS image to the latest one from hp.com. Another thing to bear in mind is that Puppy is very stripped down so you may have better success with another distro. You might consider a light distro like Xubuntu or similar.