Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i have heard about yoper a long time now...but why should i try to use it?what about it's installation?is it graphical or text based?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

yoper installation

i have heard about yoper a long time now...but why should i try to use it?what about it's installation?is it graphical or text based?
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!

text based

The install is text based, configuration after install ,sax2,
    graphical. Total time, about 5 minutes on a fast processor.

Linux Newbie
    I installed it on two of my machines yesterday, one a PIII 500mhz machine, the other a 3.2ghz PIV. It took about 12 minutes to install on the 500mhz machine, and an additional 8 minutes of configuration to get it running nicely. 20 minutes to a fully functional OS. It took about 6 minutes on the PIV machine, with 2 minutes of config. 8 minutes from start to functional... damn impressive.
    The text based install isn't as scary as some people might think. If you've installed Slackware, Debian, or Gentoo, you will find that this install is actually easier. For those coming from Redhat, Fedora, Mandrake, SuSe, or any other graphical installations, you'll find that the information is the same, you just don't get to use a mouse. If you've installed any Linux distrobution in the past, I am confident that you would be able to install yoper. And for the tech savvy, yoper wouldn't be a bad choice as your first linux based OS.
    After the installation, package management is easy enough with APT, (the same system used in Debian,) which makes finding, installing, and removing packages painless. The default window manager is KDE.

Out of all the distrobutions I have tried, Yoper is quickly turning into one of my favorites, especially with its speed and practicality.

Robert Peaslee
    Taking a walk on the wonderful path computers have lain before me

Just Joined!
    The development version 2.9.3 has added features in the installer

Just Joined!
    One such improvement is the use of QTparted for partitioning instead of cfdisk.

Another is that Andreas is working on adding Grub as an alternative to Lilo.

And I think he's done some work on ATI drivers and Xfree. The goal being to enable 3d acceleration from the get go just as Yoper does with Nvidia cards. But this is not quite perfect yet, mainly because we've got XFree 4.4 and Ati's latest driver is for XFree 4.3.

Anyway, most of this is user-requested. The Yoper team really wants to keep it all on a single CD, and maintain a very quick install. So don't expect to see an integration of anaconda anytime soon, however we will add more optons and work to make the installer more graphical (Qt-embedded).

Also, while we are on the subject of yoper developments.... We've had a small influx of new pacakgers which is helping our repository to grow. I'm working on a live CD release of Yoper for demo/resuce/portable purposes.

I've heard so many good things about Yopper that I'm scared I might like it better than Gentoo!

But seriously...I have every intention of installing it very soon to try it out and review it.

It's great to see all these Yopper devs posting here as well! Welcome to the forums!
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    Tis tempting me too. And it'd be me Gentoo partition that'd suffer :o
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Linux Engineer
    it's only one iso i think,i'll try it as soon as possible...
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    Would be nice to hear what a dual-booted Gentoo/Yoper User has to say about Yoper....

Just Joined!
    Gents

Next stable release with all new goodies will be done within the next 5-6 days ... I would wait until then if I would be you.

I added heaps!!!! qtparted with embedded qt rocks! grub works too .... kde-3.3.0 and 2.6.8.1 ..... so .... I would love to see you all using it .. and get feedback. With feedback it can only get better

Andreas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast