Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 9 of 9
I want to try out a system thats both easy to use and at the same time light on resources. I don't want one where I need to edit configuration ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    100

    Question Zenwalk vs Vector


    I want to try out a system thats both easy to use and at the same time light on resources.

    I don't want one where I need to edit configuration files by hand or where I need to login in text mode.

    It should preferably have Xfce, since its the best DE with a balence of Light Weight and Features.

    Most importantly, this system must be easy to get used to(my target users have an attention span thats a bit small)

    I also need a good source for lots and lots of precompiled binaries of programs for that particular OS.

    The OSes should not have TOO many annoying updates, like Sidux, since I intend to use them in a place where internet is precious.

    Configuration and Administration should all be from a GUI.

    I finally decided Slackware based distros, Zenwalk Linux and Vector Linux would be the best bet. I can easily get lots and lots of packages for them from linuxpackages.net when I need a program.

    So which of the two should I try ?

    I tried both live, and while Zenwalk 5.1 has a unfriendly looking large screen where I need to move my mouse to the border to show more of the screen, Vector 5.9 live is lesser used than Zenwalk.

    I have the latest installers for both.

    I think Vector Looks much better than Zenwalk.

    I have no idea how their repositories are.

    So which of the two should I choose ?
    Do they fill all criteria at all ?
    Is there an even better OS available ?
    A man learns from his experience. A smart man learns from the experience of others, while a smarter man experiences life after knowing other's experiences.

    BE THE SMARTER MAN.

  2. #2
    oz
    oz is offline
    forum.guy
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    arch linux
    Posts
    18,733
    I've used both and I personally like Zenwalk a little better, but they are both available as free downloads, so it's best to try both and decide for yourself which you like best. I'm not certain that either of them will totally fill all your needs.

    "Better OS" is strictly subjective and is different for each user.
    oz

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I've used both and I personally like Zenwalk a little better, but they are both available as free downloads, so it's best to try both and decide for yourself which you like best. I'm not certain that either of them will totally fill all your needs.

    "Better OS" is strictly subjective and is different for each user.
    I used both of them live, and I can't figure out which is better.

    As I said before, installing them and using for a day or two will show the true difference, but I lack the resources to do so.

    For Zenwalk, only 5.1 is live, not 5.2. I have 5.1 live and 5.2 installer with me.
    For Vector, Live is still Beta. I have live and installer of 5.9 with me.

    This means neither is tested properly.

    As far as UI Vector feels more Polished and eye appealing to me.

    What was the thing you found about Zenwalk thats better than Vector ?
    And what are the differences in administration of both ?

    Finally, why the hell did Zenwalk have this oversized desktop where you need to point to the screen border to see more of it ? I find it REALLY annoying.
    A man learns from his experience. A smart man learns from the experience of others, while a smarter man experiences life after knowing other's experiences.

    BE THE SMARTER MAN.

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Linux Guru bryansmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    /Ontario/Canada
    Posts
    2,619
    You really should try each of them first. I suggest setting up a virtual machine and installing both to a VM. If you do this, you won't need a dedicated machine to test them.

    I can guarantee you that the most common answer here will be "try them and decide for yourself". Personally, I like Zenwalk but that's just me.

    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

  6. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    10 ^ 50
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalheadGautham View Post
    I used both of them live, and I can't figure out which is better.

    As I said before, installing them and using for a day or two will show the true difference, but I lack the resources to do so.

    For Zenwalk, only 5.1 is live, not 5.2. I have 5.1 live and 5.2 installer with me.
    For Vector, Live is still Beta. I have live and installer of 5.9 with me.

    This means neither is tested properly.

    As far as UI Vector feels more Polished and eye appealing to me.

    What was the thing you found about Zenwalk thats better than Vector ?
    And what are the differences in administration of both ?

    Finally, why the hell did Zenwalk have this oversized desktop where you need to point to the screen border to see more of it ? I find it REALLY annoying.
    Zenwalk 5.2 Live should be out soon. Visual appearance is totally worthless in examining a distro, because it can be easily customized. Both of these are very good distros, and you should try them both. Install one, and if it suits you, great. If not, try the other.

    The oversized desktop is because your graphics card drivers aren't detected quite right. What kind of graphics card do you have?

  7. #6
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith View Post
    You really should try each of them first. I suggest setting up a virtual machine and installing both to a VM. If you do this, you won't need a dedicated machine to test them.

    I can guarantee you that the most common answer here will be "try them and decide for yourself". Personally, I like Zenwalk but that's just me.

    Bryan
    Me and VM ? Did I forget to tell you ? I run a P4 2.66GHz with 256mb RAM ?
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelcrayon View Post
    Zenwalk 5.2 Live should be out soon. Visual appearance is totally worthless in examining a distro, because it can be easily customized. Both of these are very good distros, and you should try them both. Install one, and if it suits you, great. If not, try the other.

    The oversized desktop is because your graphics card drivers aren't detected quite right. What kind of graphics card do you have?
    I use Intel GMA900 Onboard graphics.

    I know visual appearence is worthless, but still, its the ONLY difference I see.

    I thought there may be difference in community support, software availablity, security, extra admin tools, etc. Thats where I need to find out the difference so I am asking here.
    A man learns from his experience. A smart man learns from the experience of others, while a smarter man experiences life after knowing other's experiences.

    BE THE SMARTER MAN.

  8. #7
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    10 ^ 50
    Posts
    4
    Zenwalk uses Netpkg for its package management, while Vector uses slapt-get. The GUI for Netpkg is a bit strange, but I find it to be the better package manager. Zenwalk also offers the ZUR (Zenwalk User Repository), inspired by Arch's AUR. Read Zenwalk User Repository - Zenwalk Wiki.

    Vector is also a very good distro. Again, I recommend that you just pick one and then try the other if the first is not to your liking.

  9. #8
    Just Joined! kveldulf980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    15
    I've used both, very recently, and I think I liked Zenwalk slightly more. That said, Vector seems to be really coming along, and is certainly no slouch. I forsee good things from bost camps in the future.

  10. #9
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelcrayon View Post
    Zenwalk uses Netpkg for its package management, while Vector uses slapt-get. The GUI for Netpkg is a bit strange, but I find it to be the better package manager. Zenwalk also offers the ZUR (Zenwalk User Repository), inspired by Arch's AUR. Read Zenwalk User Repository - Zenwalk Wiki.

    Vector is also a very good distro. Again, I recommend that you just pick one and then try the other if the first is not to your liking.
    OK, thats exactly what I was looking for. The package management and availibility.
    Are both of them compatible with LinuxPackages: View ?
    And what is the choice offered by LinuxPackages: View ?

    And btw, I used Ubuntu Feisty, Ubuntu Hardy, Debian Lenny and Debian Sid till now in the installed form. I am hence very much used to using apt-get. Will that mean I find slapt-get easier than netpkg ?
    Quote Originally Posted by kveldulf980 View Post
    I've used both, very recently, and I think I liked Zenwalk slightly more. That said, Vector seems to be really coming along, and is certainly no slouch. I forsee good things from bost camps in the future.
    Everyone I ask tell me they found Zenwalk slightly more likable than Vector. Any particular reason for this "slightly more likable" clause ?
    A man learns from his experience. A smart man learns from the experience of others, while a smarter man experiences life after knowing other's experiences.

    BE THE SMARTER MAN.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •