Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, I have recently acquired an old power macintosh 5500/225, I believe it has only 64 megs of ram so would obviously need a very lightweight distro to run, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Is there a distro for an old Power Macintosh?

Hi there,

I have recently acquired an old power macintosh 5500/225, I believe it has only 64 megs of ram so would obviously need a very lightweight distro to run, but what lightweight distro would run on an old macintosh with a powerpc 300mhz processor?

I look forward to a reply in due course

Stuart

I would recommend Debian. I don't have any experience with PowerPC, but I know Debian supports that architecture and I have plenty of experience with Debian on 300mhz Intel/AMD machines with 64megs or less.

I would suggest you do a base install, and then install the following:

apt-get install xorg alsa-base alsa-utils icewm icewm-themes menu xfe gqview aterm iceweasel xmms

After installing the above, configure sound with:

alsaconf

You can get into an icewm session by logging in as a regular user and using the command "startx".

I'll repeat that I do NOT have any experience with PowerPC. There may be various details with doing an install on PowerPC that I'm simply unaware of. The above advice works well with a PC compatible, with 64megs of RAM.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan

Just Joined!

Try Puppy Linux

I haven't used puppy myself, but it is supposed to install under 100 Mb and is supposed very fast as well, good for your old computer.

Puppy Linux is only for i386 compatible processors. PowerPC is not.
    Isaac Kuo, ICQ 29055726 or Yahoo mechdan