Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all i want to ask if yoper has a special package maintener such as pkgtool in slackware and emerde in gentoo.Also does it support rpms and if it supports ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

working with yoper

Hi all i want to ask if yoper has a special package maintener such as pkgtool in slackware and emerde in gentoo.Also does it support rpms and if it supports that rpms are only for yoper?I heard that it has 3d acceleration buid in it so you don't need to install nvidia driver that's really a good thing

Just Joined!
    Yoper uses rpm's, and the development team maintains a repository of specailly-built Yoper rpm's. This repository can be accessed by using apt-get or synaptic and dependencies will be resolved for you.

It also has all the tools you need to compile/install source code should you find yourself unable to wait for us to build an rpm of something the repository lacks. Emerge is in our repository but it is a development thing, and it could hose your system or confuse apt-get should you use it. You are welcome to try it though.

Luckily you can play around and do whatever you want without much worry since Yoper's installer is FAST!

Oh yeah, and nvidia 3d acceleration by default! We're working out some kinks with Ati 3d acceleration by default....

well, i say this officly on the record, the day that ATI support is integrated fully in a distro this fast, is the day i officaly, sign my soul over to the devel team for YOPER
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Just Joined!
    Yeah, well, if a certain group of lazy Canadians who shall remain nameless would keep up with X and kernel releases there would be no problem at all in Yoper or any other distro for that matter. It's absolutely ridiculous. The next vid card purchase I make will go to Nvidia over this one issue.

Just Joined!
    well the ati drivers are ported to work with XFree-4.4 and they work on my card I have got ..... some users have reported success some failure. As such I am a little hesitant to put it into the release. The package is in the repository and the kernel has got the module included and X has all the hooks too.

just a little bit of Xconfig later and you'have it running ...

Maybe you can join the devel team to integrate them ... the work is 90% there as I said. DRI stuff needs to be done to support more cards and so on ...

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the specifications i will manage to download it and try it.News soon

Just Joined!

Linux Engineer
    i started to download it right now...i'm just curious about is speed.
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    after installing 2.0.0 .. change

/etc/apt/sources.list

to point to

rpm ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper version2 os
    rpm ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper contrib os
    rpm-src ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper version2 os
    rpm-src ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper contrib os
    #development kde-3.3-beta2
    #rpm ftp://apt.yoper.com/yoper rocketfuel os
    #rpm cdrom:/mnt/cdrom/yoper version2 os

Then type

apt-get remove fbset
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    apt-get install kdeaddons
    apt-get install sax2
    #Restart your computer
    prelink -v --all --ld-library-path=/usr/lib/mozilla

the last command get's the Yoper speed. It will take a while

After this you have the latest kde. Then follow the instruction to get the ATI driver installed

Linux Engineer
    this will start some kind of update....
    thanks for the post!
    Linux For Ever!