Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Spyware doctor picked up a keylogger in qemu.exe, I'm not sure whether to trust DSL (damn small linux) or not. Does anyone know if this is a virus?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Damn small linux contains a virus?

Spyware doctor picked up a keylogger in qemu.exe, I'm not sure whether to trust DSL (damn small linux) or not. Does anyone know if this is a virus?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by blah bah7 View Post
    Spyware doctor picked up a keylogger in qemu.exe, I'm not sure whether to trust DSL (damn small linux) or not. Does anyone know if this is a virus?
    where'd you get it? i haven't found anything. just scanned what I have (4.4 something) with Norton

Just Joined!
    it was one of those warnings that pops up in the bottom right saying "this file is a potential keylogger" It is qemu.exe so I think I'll trust it

oz
    forum.guy
    I know nothing at all about qemu, but aren't files with the .exe extension actually Windows files? I don't think Linux uses any exe files all to run the system.

If it's a Windows file with a virus, that could certainly be possible.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    i believe he is using the DSL-Embedded. scan the file, if you can. If you can't scan the file, scan the whole computer. where did you get your DSL package, from DSL information? (the forum plugged in the site name, but that is the offical site)

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by arinlares View Post
    i believe he is using the DSL-Embedded. scan the file, if you can. If you can't scan the file, scan the whole computer. where did you get your DSL package, from DSL information? (the forum plugged in the site name, but that is the offical site)
    yeah, from the main page I went to "where to go from here" and clicked download. Is DSL trustworthy? thats what I am trying to get at =P

Linux Newbie
    I seriously doubt your spyware doctor is acurate.

Firstly, DSL stands for Drust Sorthy Linux
    Secondly, how can linux contain a windows virus ?

I think this is the reason behind the virus:

QEmu, might look for a key you press, the way virtual box does. Atleast in VBox, if you press a particular key, control shifts from guest OS to main OS. Perhaps this might be called a keylogger ?

And are you using the right qemu ? Because perhaps it is qemu.exe that has the virus, not DSL. Try removing DSL from qemu and scanning it.
    A man learns from his experience. A smart man learns from the experience of others, while a smarter man experiences life after knowing other's experiences.

BE THE SMARTER MAN.

I Trust DSL, more than Spyware software anyhow. I think it'd be safe to disregard this.
    You can always verify the download with the sha1sums or md5sums.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I agree with Mike on this. DSL is very trustworthy. And since Linux doesn't use .exe files, you don't really have to worry about it infecting you DSL install.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I agree with Mike on this. DSL is very trustworthy. And since Linux doesn't use .exe files, you don't really have to worry about it infecting you DSL install.
    I don't think a hard drive install would be possible from an emulator anyway (Qemu works in a way similar to VMWare or VirtualBox). If you downloaded it from damnsmallinux.org, though, you should be all right. (re)Download it, and scan it with the virus scanner. I trust it, but the decision is yours (if you're worried about it, don't fiddle with it). I haven't had any virus issues with it myself, but I'm not every user.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast