Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Dear All Last week I have installed SimplyMEPIS 6.5 (32 bit) on my old PIII, 866 Mhz, 80 GB, 256 MB RAM computer. This OS is very good for new ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

MEPIS newbie

Dear All

Last week I have installed SimplyMEPIS 6.5 (32 bit) on my old PIII, 866 Mhz, 80 GB, 256 MB RAM computer. This OS is very good for new users like me. However, I have few following queries, which I expect friends in this forum will lend their support to me to resolve the issues.

1) There is no display of "storage media" (similar to My Computer of Windows) on the desktop - how to activate this ? Is there any option to create shortcut on desktop ?

2) Simply MEPIS 6.50 version has antivirus s/w pre-installed. Suppose I use a pendrive to download files from other system (using windows) and if the same pendrive is used on MEPIS can this AV detect windows virus ?

Thanks in advance akg 123 ....

I'm not really sure what you mean by storage media but if you are looking to acces hardrive that will be in the area on your menu where it lists cd,floppy etc and to have a hardrive icon on the desktop just select to mount the harddisk and a Harddisk icon shortcut will be on your desktop.Then I guess you can view files from there. As far as anti virus goes in Linux if you tell it to scan the cd after inserting it it will pick up any viruses that are on the cd. As long as your updater is current. I use clam and AVG. Not for Linux but to scan emails and cd's and dvd's and downloaded files. Not because I'm afraid of something I downloaded infecting Mepis. Because what is downloaded and copied can infect Windows. Hopes that answers your question.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

MEPIS hardware

Thanks for the reply. Shall try the option you suggested.

1) Meanwhile, when I insert my jetflash pendrive, icon is displayed on the desktop. However, if I have to eject (unmount) the same, there is no option to unmount with right click. Please suggest how to unmount or eject the pendrive.

2) I do not find Tux racer game on MEPIS 6.5. How to activate this ?

Thanks akg123 ...

2) I do not find Tux racer game on MEPIS 6.5. How to activate this

Go to synaptic Package manager in System Administation and open synaptic and hit search and type in Tux Racer and when it shows up click on install.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I cannot tell you the exact commands used by the "safely remove", but I can give you some shell commands that might do the trick

you will want to do these commands as user root (the leading "#" is the root shell prompt; do not enter it)

# flush # will flush any data in memory to drives
    # umount /dev/yourusbdrive
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Also I forgot to mention if you have Konquerer open you need to close it. Then right click USB icon and Safely Remove should open up. Click it and you should be able to unplug USB. But like I said if you have the Konquerer window open that will keep you from unmounting USB, so close it. Safely remove is the best way to unplug USB.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just wondering why you didn't try to get midnight commander from synaptic package manager. I just looked in synaptic and mc was there for the taking. Anytime you change or add to your etc/apt/sources.lst you should either hit the reload button in synaptic or do an apt-get update. That's what enables the new sources that you add.
    I find that using synaptic package manager to be the easiest way to get any package that I may need. Synaptic has a great search function too. Sometimes enabling your backport repos will get you a package that you can't find elsewhere
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

By the way 6,05 isn.t supported by mepis anymore so what you get is from archives. If its working fine for u go ahead and use it. Its kinda like using Windows 98 instead of Windows xp. If you upgrade your ram to a minimum of 512 mb You should be able to run Mepis 7.0 somewhat comfortably and anither good optio that I used on my Amrel 500MHZ, 126MB,29GIG Laptop was Mepis AntiX which runs the Xfce Desktop and is pretty zippy on it. Its a bit differnt to run than KDE but its supported and you can add the latest packaged software just like in Mepis 7.0.Antix was designed to run on 128MB computers. I like Mepis because you get access to Ubuntu repositories. You can install firefox,and all other sort of neat stuff through synaptic or Apt get. Have fun.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Also one last thing. If you are gonna be transfering NTFS files into Mepis your gonna need Wine which is also in Synaptic. I am gonna give you a link that shows how to install the perfect desktop in Ubuntu 7.04 Gusty Gibbon but you can apply this tutrial to your Mepis installation. I couldn't find a link for the Perfect Mepis 6.05 Desktop as nobody has done a tutorial like this one . Like I said, just read it and try some of the steps that you would like to do. You might be pleasently suprised.> Its got pictures and everything. Enjoy: The Perfect Desktop - Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon" | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

dual booting

Thanks for those invaluable suggestions. I find Mepis 6.50 good enough for the present configuration and I prefer to stick to it.

But, now I wish to add Windows 98SE as dual boot (only for playing games .... I do not like to venture with WINE). With Mepis 6.50 already installed on 20 GB first partition hda1 (total 80GB HDD with four partitions of 20 GB X 3 and 16 GB X 1) and GRUB boot loader installed in the root, How do I do dual booting with Win98. Please suggest... Thanks .... akg123.

PS: FYI ... all partitions are FAT32 and not NTFS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast