Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have tried multiple distros such as Knoppix, Ubuntu, Freespire, etc. I would like to know if there is a distro that has been made that simulates the Windows XP ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Distro that looks exactly like Windows XP?

I have tried multiple distros such as Knoppix, Ubuntu, Freespire, etc.

I would like to know if there is a distro that has been made that simulates the Windows XP interface identically. I mean identically. Mouse-click to mouse-click. Is there such a distro? The office end-user community has already been trained to use Windows XP. They know the appropriate mouse click sequences to perform their jobs. They know how to choose Start/Control Panel/Printer and select a network printer. They know to choose Start/All Programs/Microsoft Word. To get the office end-user to this point took a substantial amount of time and training effort.

We would like to transition to a Linux distro but this would mean a substantial re-training effort to end-users that are not technically adept and do not like change. The end-user interface to doing their job does not need to change just because the underlying operating system has. This is like taking a gasoline engine out of a car and putting in a diesel engine. The end-user does not need to know what is under the hood. They still operate the car with the steering wheel/accelerator/brake.

OpenOffice has done a pretty good being very similar to Microsoft Office. With is little effort, it could be 'skinned' to be identical in operation to Microsoft Office.

Anything that the Linux distro does that Microsoft XP does not would still be included. It would simply be additional functionality that the office end-user probably would not use.

So, basically what I am looking for is a distro that I could install on the end-user's PC and they would possibly not even know that anything had changed. Is there such a thing?

Thanks

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

While there are some distros with amazing similarities to Windows XP, I don't think there are any that are totally identical all the way through. I would even think there might be some legal issues with creating one that contained official Windows XP logos, and such.
    oz

Hello and Welcome!

The closest things out there, from what I've seen, would be either Vixta or Linux-XP. but there will be differences.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by longlostname View Post
    I have tried multiple distros such as Knoppix, Ubuntu, Freespire, etc.

I would like to know if there is a distro that has been made that simulates the Windows XP interface identically. I mean identically. Mouse-click to mouse-click. Is there such a distro? The office end-user community has already been trained to use Windows XP. They know the appropriate mouse click sequences to perform their jobs. They know how to choose Start/Control Panel/Printer and select a network printer. They know to choose Start/All Programs/Microsoft Word. To get the office end-user to this point took a substantial amount of time and training effort.
    Hi longlostname and welcome to the forums.

You mean your people are not flexible enough to learn something new?? If they aren't, I'd just continue to have them use XP... or fire them one!

I changed my people at my radio station over from Windows to Linux several years ago. You'd be surprised at how quickly people can adapt if you demand they do it. The ones that are able to, will prove to be invaluable employees to you. The ones that can't... well...

Please read the link in my signature "Linux is not Windows." I think it will help to answer many questions you likely have during your attempted transition...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!

Linux distro 'skinned' to look like Windows XP

Thanks to everyone for their responses to my question.

I will look into the Vixta and Linux-XP distros suggested.

Yes, I accept that what is available is not 'totally identical', but with a small amount of effort it could be made very similar.

Yes, there would be legal issues with logos and such, but it was not my intent to have the Microsoft splash screens on the program start ups. Besides, since this is open-source development and contributions, who would Microsoft take legal action against? Microsoft has chosen to stop selling Windows XP. The open-source community would simply be developing/distributing a distro that has the same XP front-end end-user interfaces that the users are already familiar with and trained to use. Once again, a different engine, but the same 'the steering wheel/accelerator/brake'.

With regards to flexibility/willingness of the office end-user to 'learn something new'. If a relatively small amount of effort is invested into maintaining the environment that they already know, then learning something new is unnecessary. For everyone! If you are talking about a small office, then the training effort will not be much of a challenge. But when you are talking about a office environment that has over 1,000 workstations, even small changes must be introduced 1,000 times. The smallest changes can cause the number of calls to the Help Center/Tech Support phone line to massively increase.

A project to make a distro of Linux that is so similar to the current Windows XP interface could be the most popular and in-demand distro developed yet. Network Administrators everywhere would want this. To create a Linux-clone of Windows XP that even seasoned XP users would not immediately be able to tell the difference from would surely be in high demand.

In my opinion, of course.

Thanks

Linux Newbie
    i figure you've got all the help you need, but i believe you can make some distros look and function like windows XP. I've seen Ubuntu done up like Vista and XP, anyway. Looked identical. I might be wrong, though.