Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running MEPIS 7 on a laptop and all is running very well! I'm thoroughly impressed. However, this laptop of mine is mobile (naturally) and is connected to various ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

KNetworkManager alternative?

I am running MEPIS 7 on a laptop and all is running very well! I'm thoroughly impressed. However, this laptop of mine is mobile (naturally) and is connected to various networks at different times. All wireless connections are handled flawlessly, however, I connect to 3 hardwire networks or a regular basis. One has DHCP, the other two are static IP's. I need a way to setup network profiles for these 3 networks so that I can change my IP on the fly without rebooting. Is there an easier way?

I think the whole Network Manager infrastructure doesn't work well with static IPs at the moment. You may have to disable network manager and configure the old fashioned way.

But on the other hand, Network Manager 0.7 supports static IP configuration as far as I know so you might be able to upgrade to that. In either case it's due out in the next few months so I suspect that it will be in the next MEPIS release if you don't want to upgrade manually.

I use predominantly static networks and have found networkmanager to be a right pain in the arse. I have written scripts that I can run which will configure eth0, set default gateway, and swap in the correct /etc/resolv.conf file for the network I am about to use. I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to adjust them to start network manager but having no use for it I have never looked into it.

Just Joined!
    Hi there.
    In Mepis Network Assistant.......

........and on the Interfaces card.......:

You put your IP, etc., settings, for each interface. For example: One interface is eth0, and the other one is ath0.

To connect, or deconnect to each interface, you mark "Start at boot", or take the mark away.

One of both, has to be disconnected, so that the one and only one can work without causing you any problems.

Example:
    1.) You are using a ADSL connection, wired, with eth0: "Start at boot" is marked, and all the other interfaces in Mepis Network Assistant are not marked for starting. Only one interface is allowed to start: The one you would like to use.

Furthermore, you have DHCP marked.

And it should work.

Remember to change the settings, each time you change your interface environment.

I have recently learned that, apparently, NetworkManager and KnetworkManager are two different entities. From what I have been able to find, KnetworkManager is only up to version 0.2, while NetworkManager is up to version 0.6.5. I did run Mandriva 2008 for a short period of time with KDE and I remember it having the capability to handle 'Network Profiles'. I could set a profile for each of my networks, and with one click connect to the network of my choice. Was that NetworkManager?

I have tried to download and compile NetworkManager 0.6.5, but I have run into problems with XML parser. I've installed a number of packages through Synaptic Package Manager that claim to be XML parsers, but still no luck with ./configure.

I am also not having any luck with changing my static IP without rebooting. Late last night, I spent hours trying to set my static IP and never got any connection at all. In other distributions, I've been able to make these changes relatively easily. This is not true with MEPIS Network Assistant.

Just Joined!
    Mepis Network Assistant:
    How is each interface sett?

Which interface have you enabled to start at boot?

Please be so kind, and send one or two screenshots, so that I can figure out, what you are doing.
    You can't comunicate with the forum via a wired interface, expecting to get wireless interface, at the same time. You must disconnect the wired interface, then set up your wireles interface, and contact the forum via your wireles interface.

For example, if you are driving a hybrid car, you would have to decide, if you want to run the electric motor only, or the benzin/diesel motor only. Having both options set, would disable your car to run. Having only one option set, would enable the car to run on one of the both motors.

I understand that I can only connect with one interface at a time. I have tried all possible combinations. I've disabled both devices, eth0(wired) and eth1(wireless), no connection, rebooted, enabled only eth0 with the properties necessary, no connection, rebooted, still no connection. I've gone around in circles and cannot connect using any static addresses at all.

Perhaps the suggestion from Monday90 using scripts may be a better option unless I can figure out MEPIS Network Assistant or make NetworkManager 0.7 run properly.

I did finally get all the necessary dependancies and libraries to compile and install NetworkManager, but now I can't find any support how to use it. I can launch it from #, but it does not appear to be doing anything. I needed a lot of Gnome libs for install, is that why it won't load into my Kicker?

I just had a whole boatload of Networking troubles with MEPIS, which really surprised me because MEPIS is usually trouble free for me.
    The only way I was able to get eth0 working, was to disable all the cards except eth0, like you did. Using the Mepis Connection assistant, where you enter your settings, I had force it to use an IP address instead of DHCP. Maybe this will work for you too. Good Luck!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.