Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question trouble installing DSL to hard drive

I'm very new to linux and I am having trouble installing DSL to the hard drive on my computer as the only OS.

I booted from the live CD first, and attempted to make the partition table as outlined in the instructions but it just freezes up when I try to write the table.

I then tried to use GParted LiveCD to create the table when I realized what I think the problem is. My drive is being detected as "/dev/sda1". I don't know what the difference between sda1 and hda1 is so I proceeded with creating the table using GParted. I then booted from the DSL disk again and continued but when I run the command "mkswap /dev/sda1" it says it cannot locate the drive. If I run the command "mkswap /dev/hda1" it just freezes.

I apologize if this is a stupid question. I am very new to linux and have been working on this since last Saturday and I haven't made any progress (Except for formatting Windows ME off of the hard drive)

PS. I am graciously accepting any suggestions for linux distrobutions that will fit on a 3GB hard drive and leave some room to install XAMPP. My goal is to build a small web server with MySQL.

Thanks in advance

Sda stands for a sata type hardrive.

Hda stands for a ide type hardrive.

Do you know what type of hardrive is in your computer?
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.
    Accepting Death is the only way to stay alive.

WOW! Come to think of it I've only had this computer for about a week and a half. I never got around to opening it, and looking inside before I started. If it is sata are there special procedures I should take to install DSL to it?

I'll check what type it is as soon as I get home tonight.

Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Are you following this procedure to install?

Notes on doing a Damn Small Linux install
    I refuse to let fear and fear of others rule my life. It puts my humanity at risk.

If you have a wide ribbon connection with a 40 pin plug going to your hardrive its IDE;

If its a small wire harness with a small black plug its probably sata.

I am using the instructions from Arsgeek. The drive is an IDE drive. Why would linux detect it as an SATA drive? Should I use the first instructions you noted. I haven't tried those...

Thank you for all your help

I would use this one as it is from DSL.org which I think is the Authors site.

Notes on doing a Damn Small Linux install

When you format the drive use the hda designation instead of the sda designation you used when using the Arsgeek tutorial. I think thats why the original install froze up because you told DSL you had a Sata instead of IDE when you formated it. That's probably why DSL detected it as sda, because you told it so by assigning your new partition a sda drive letter. I hope you now have a basic idea where you went wrong and you are very welcome and Attachment 1250 to the forum.

I'm not sure how I would have done that. When I format the drive using gparted it automatically determines it as sda1. How would I format it as hda1. I can give it that label "hda1' but the partition name is still /dev/sda1

I'm starting to feel pretty silly, I'm implementing an exchange server and migrating users from Oracle collaboration suite to it at work, but I can't get a 50 mb operating system installed on an empty hard drive at home... Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by mihamil View Post

I'm starting to feel pretty silly, I'm implementing an exchange server and migrating users from Oracle collaboration suite to it at work, but I can't get a 50 mb operating system installed on an empty hard drive at home... Go figure

I repair and build custom motorcycles and only learned how to use Linux in my limited way in the past year.