Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can it be done? Apparently I neglected to do so during installation. Can I do it without installing it again, it is painfully slow without it I'm running on an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Set up swap drive after install?

Can it be done?
    Apparently I neglected to do so during installation.
    Can I do it without installing it again, it is painfully slow without it
    I'm running on an 8 yr old thinkpad with 192mb of ram!

If it can be done, can someone walk me through it?
    Total newbie here!

I have an 10gb drive with 2 equal partitions, puppy is on the first partition and mepis is on the second, grub is installed to the mbr and loads both.
    I would use puppy it was pretty good on my laptop but while it was a tad faster than windows it was a little too buggy for my liking so here I am with mepis.

Do you have any free space left on the drive?
    All you really need to do is use the fdisk command to create a new partition, then use the mkswap command on that partition, activate it with swapon /dev/path/to/new/partition
    Here is a howto for Redhat, which should work just fine for any version of Linux.
    Adding Swap Space
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Ok I think I understand all that.

One question,

Could I use the partition that puppy is on as my swap for mepis as that partition is not in use when I am in mepis, and If I can get mepis working nicely I will not likely be using puppy anyway.
    Or does the swap drive need to be completely and totally free of anything else?

Yes I do have space on both partitions, if I have to have a totally free 'drive' I would have to resize partitions to add it though.
    So I guess I am asking could I just use the mkswap command on the partition that puppy is on and skip the step of making a new partition. They are all on the same physical drive anyway.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you create a swap partition, it needs to be free space only. Anything else will get overwritten when you create swap space on it. If you have a swap space that you use for Puppy Linux then you can also use that same swap space for Mepis. I share one swap partition between 3 distro's.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Your other option would be to create a swap file. It's just an ordinary file configured to to be used as swap space.

*EDIT*

I read that all wrong... somehow I missed the fact that the link MikeTbob posted was a walk-through for what I just suggested.
    Please ignore me now...
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    ahhh ok, I see it now.

Thanks Mike, and Jay!