Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I want to install Puppy on my old machine, but it has a LOT of music and other things on it. So I want to keep my Windows with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Install Puppy but keeping Windows

Hello,

I want to install Puppy on my old machine, but it has a LOT of music and other things on it. So I want to keep my Windows with all of the files, but I also want to install Puppy. Also I still want to use Photoshop which cannot be used on Puppy.
    I didn't tried to install Puppy, because I didn't wanted to accidentally format my harddisk.
    My harddisk is 80gb, and I've got only one, so I need to partition it instead of using another HDD.
    Anyone experienced with this?

Thanks in Advance,
    Gaarthuis.

Hi and Welcome !

Boot up from PartedMagic LiveCD and resize partitions. Create two new partitions.

* 6GB, format it in ext3 filesystem
    * 512MB, format it in SWAP

Start Puppy installation and select Manaul Partitioning. Select ext3 partition and assign it / mount point. Installer will detect SWAP partition and setup dual boot itself. You will have choice to boot up either OS at startup.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thank you!
    Is it that easy? And PartedMagic is already on the PuppyCD?
    I have a Windows Millenium Edition, will it surely work with it?

And PartedMagic is already on the PuppyCD?
    Thats good. Resize and create new partition through PartedMagic.
    I have a Windows Millenium Edition, will it surely work with it?
    Yes, Windows ME will work fine. You won't have any problem. Installer will setup dual boot itself. Make sure to select Manaul Partitioning and assing / mount point to ext3 partition.

Thank you very much!
    You have Puppy too? I'm now downloading it.

You have Puppy too? I'm now downloading it.
    No. I have Damn Small Linux in a few older machines. What is the configuration of your computer.

I use Damn Small Linux aswell, it works great but it everytime needs to open te MyDSL extensions so it's not the most handy OS.

I have a 667Mhz Intel Celeron CPU, 64MB of SDR-SDRAM and (as said) a 80GB harddisk. I was planning to use it as a server system, but with the lack of RAM I couldn't use the MySQL server and I'm now waiting 'till I have enough for I think a Mac Mini (low energy, so cheap for 24/7 server) of some sort of notebook.