Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unable to boot into Windows

Hi
    I am having a Toshiba laptop which was having Vista. I installed CAE Linux. Now I formatted the partition of CAE Linux from the disk management option of Vista. After this I was getting GRUB Error 17. Getting some information about MBR, I got the tip of putting zeros in the first 446 bytes of MBR so that Windows can start booting. I used the command dd for that. Now nothing is happening when I restarted the machine. Please help me to find a solution for my problem. Thanks in advance.

forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check this Microsoft Vista HowTo for using your Vista installation disk to repair your Windows bootloader:

How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista

Let us know how it goes.
    oz

Just Joined!
    When you say, nothing is happening, do you get a blank screen after your laptop's BIOS screen disappears? If so, that's the issue. I would try to repair your vista (boot from the vista install cd, and on the "install vista" screen, select "Repair your computer").

Otherwise, I would recommend buying a external HDD, downloading a LiveCD of a linux distro via another PC and burning it to CD, then copy all your data from your laptop to the external HDD, and then do a factory restore. You'll get it sorted one way or another.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close