Find the answer to your Linux question:
i used puppylinux(only 95mb) good OS.i have some doubts raised 1.)how a bootable drive is different from a unbootable drive(drive=a harddisk or pendrive or a cd etc..)? 2.)how puppylinux is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking PUPPY linux

i used puppylinux(only 95mb) good OS.i have some doubts raised
    1.)how a bootable drive is different from a unbootable drive(drive=a harddisk or pendrive or a cd etc..)?
    2.)how puppylinux is able to play sounds without audiodriver installation (which is needed in windows)?

Linux drivers are inside its kernel and it has a lot more drivers in its kernel than windows. When you update your system, hte kernel and its drivers are also updated, so more hardware is supported out of the box. So, you do not have to install drivers yourself for most of your hardware. Exceptions are the video cards of NVIDIA & ATI, if you want the super-cool Compiz Fusion effects and many wireless adapters.

Just Joined!

thanks

thanks for your effort....i understood your answer for the 2st one...i also want to know answer for the 1st one

I did not understand your question very well. You can boot Linux from any medium(livecd, hard disk, usb) that your BIOS supports.You just need to configure BIOS to boot from that medium first. Linux also allows you to create a bootloader to select between distributions you have installed and windows.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by villanarun View Post
    i used puppylinux(only 95mb) good OS.i have some doubts raised
    1.)how a bootable drive is different from a unbootable drive(drive=a harddisk or pendrive or a cd etc..)?
    2.)how puppylinux is able to play sounds without audiodriver installation (which is needed in windows)?
    A bootable drive is something that your computer can start up from (eg. load the fancy windows vista/xp startup screen) and a unbootable drive is one that chokes (not literally, but just stays) on "Operating System not found".

Some BIOS think USB Drives are bootable when they aren't, and when you see "Operating System not found", you think that the computer killed itself. If you get this while your USB stick is plugged in, remove it, and reboot (CTRL + ALT + DELETE or reset button) your computer.