Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have found much discussion on some boards regarding this matter, but can't seem to find any solution. My install of Puppy 4.0 has worked flawlessly with exception to powering ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Puppy 4.0: won't power off PC

I have found much discussion on some boards regarding this matter, but can't seem to find any solution. My install of Puppy 4.0 has worked flawlessly with exception to powering off the pc. The shutdown process begins, and does shut down the OS, dismount the drives, etc, but power still remains on the pc. I must hold the power button in 4-5 seconds to complete. If there is a solution to this issue, could someone kindly provide a link?

Thanks in advance!
    Bluegrassman

Linux Guru
    I am not a Puppy expert yet but my question is would the computer shut all the way off in Windows or would you get the message " It is now safe to turn off your Computer"?

Saw your post in Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: View topic - Puppy 4 doesn't power my computer down
    Sage Post says it is a regular problem with Puppy. Try adding 'acpi=force seems to be the mantra for this.

By the way, I cancelled my running of Puppy and decided to go with the Current DSL Linux Distro on that Compaq, As it was speedier, Don't know how to run DSL yet either but I can get online with it.

You Might find an answer in here http://puppylinux.org/wiki/archives/...ylinuxmainpage

Just Joined!
    rokytnji

Yes, the PC powered down properly with Windows. The acpi=force code does work.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Good to hear it's sorted out. The reason I asked about Windows is on one of my laptops with XP on it , it gives that message and when Mandriva shuts down on it I have the same symptoms as you with Puppy. I just figured the bios wasn't going to let it shut down till you hit the power button.

Linux Guru
    Try this command, you may need to have root permissions to run it:
    Code:
    /sbin/shutdown -h now
    If this works, you can set it up so that users can run this command. Their name has to be added to the /etc/shutdown.allow list. The list just contains the usernames of the allowed users, nothing else.

For more info, read the man pages for shutdown.
    Code:
    man shutdown
    I don't know if Puppy has shutdown, or if it is in the /sbin folder.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.