Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all i had yoper v2,1 with installed the new kernel 2.6.8.1-7 and i wonder if i can change the picture of the bootsplash.How can i?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

change picture of bootsplash

Hi all i had yoper v2,1 with installed the new kernel 2.6.8.1-7 and i wonder if i can change the picture of the bootsplash.How can i?

Linux Engineer
    i had yoper a while back and i remember the splash images being located in /boot (or maybe a subdirectory of /boot). i'm guessing you can just edit those image fles, or replace your own ones with the same name(s).

Linux Newbie
    I searched in the /boot directory but nothing.I found the picture of boot splash in /etc/yoper/redmod directory change the picture and the configuration file but still nothing.Any suggestion?

Linux Engineer
    hmmm..., i think it was v2.0 that had it in /boot. a google search of all combinations of "yoper" "boot" "splash" and "screen" doesn't return any useful results. i don't know...

i remember trying this myself, i edited the pics and tried rebooting, but u need to put the new pics into the initrd

try editing the pics and then in a shell (as root) type

Code:
    mkinitrd
    then reboot, and hopefully will have ur new pics!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Newbie
    I put in /etc/YOS/redmod in the place of the default theme an another theme edit it's config file appropiate then i executed :
    mkinitrd /boot/2.6.8.1-7.img 2.6.8.1-7
    and then :
    lilo
    After that i reboot but after lilo i had no picture only the vanilla i think boot.
    Any suggestions?

Just Joined!
    I believe it's in a file called

/proc/splash

Unless that's just the image of the progress bar. I had to have the text-based install, and therefore, I have no bootsplash screen. I just end up with scrolling text and a repetetive error, at the times it would be running a bootscreen. The error, from my searching, is concerning this /proc/splash. Which apparently was never created due to my 'undefined number' for my monitor.

the error reads :

/etc/init.d/functions:line11:/proc/splash no such file or directory

I am just wondering here, but if that doesn't work, you may be able to point line 11 in /etc/init.d/functions to the image of your choice.......(?). Since line 9 says rc_splash

So, try there.

Hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Code:
    /proc/splash: no such file or directory
    suggests that bootsplash support was not compiled into the kernel... /proc/splash is a virtual file created by the kernel and used to send bootsplash events (move progressbar etc.) to the kernel framebuffer. I get this error too, i'm using 2.1.0-4 anyone else getting this? any ideas why?

I would try fix this myself, but I booted Yoper for the first time 5 minutes ago so I don't know my way around the setup yet.

Steve.

Hi danny0085 !

Welcome to the LinuxForums.

This thread is a very old. I would suggest you post sugesstions in a bit recent threads.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First