Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
After many many attempts I have failed to connect and ended up in the Last Chance Saloon and connect through Virtual Box, it works as I am in DSL typing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Damn Small Linux will not connect (In Last Chance Saloon)

After many many attempts I have failed to connect and ended up in the Last Chance Saloon and connect through Virtual Box, it works as I am in DSL typing the message, is this cheating or the lazy way or do I not have the full thing?

Linux Guru
    I'm not sure I understand.

Are you running VirtualBox on Windows? Then you have installed DSL using VirtualBox?

If that is the case, I'm not sure I see the point, unless you want to learn DSL.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Virtual Box is not what I want but more like what I can get as I simply can not get past this
    (The rt2x00 or rt2500 module is what I would look for. If you want to copy and post it, there is a way. Copy the output and past it in a text file. I don't know what text editor program DSL has, but any will do. Save the file and add the ".txt" suffix to the end of the file, so that Windows can open the file. Copy it to a USB drive or CD, and then open it in Windows)
    I can download what I need ok but how to put the driver or drivers into DSL I can’t figure and I have tried always. I found on the Net Wireless configuration DSL and after reading through it looked very promising but when I tried to read it again a popup came and froze the screen every time I went to it and I tried other browsers. If I could trouble you for a little more detailed information maybe I will get there.

Linux Guru
    I mentioned the rt2x00 and rt2500 modules because that would be the modern driver for your card. You would need to use a modern kernel, of the 2.6.xx version.

Unfortunately, DSL uses an older kernel version of the 2.4.xx type. The only way to get your wireless to work in a 2.4.xx kernel, is to use NDISwrapper, along with the correct WinXP driver for your wireless.

I only mentioned the rt2x00 driver, because I thought that you should know that a driver exists. But you need a different Linux distro if you want to use it.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just to suggest a alternative to DSLinux. You can try NimbleX 2008 with the 2.6.24 kernel. The installer worked for me alright and it picked up and connected my PCMCIA wireless right up from boot.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

Damn small Linux wont connect.

Maybe I should try another but for the computer I wish to use Linux on has only 128 ram I have bigger ones but I need it on this one. Will NimbleX 2008 as mentioned be to big or which one would do this computer and be less trouble to connect?.

My computer/laptop running NimbleX has 256mb of ram and a 900 mhz processor.
    Here is a review by Tux machines that state it will run on a 128mb system according to specs. 128 mb is the minimum requirement while 512 mb is what is considered optimal. In other words it should run fine on your machine. Burn a 100 mb install or the 200mb install on a cdrw and test it out and see I guess. They are live cds by the way.

NimbleX 2007 - As the Name Implies... | tuxmachines.org

NimbleX - The New Wave of Linux ! - NimbleX - sub100MB Edition

NimbleX - The New Wave of Linux ! - Download

NimbleX - The New Wave of Linux ! - NimbleX 2008 Manual

Like waterhead said, the 2.6.xx kernels have better wireless support, and like I said it is working out well for my Dlink PCMCIA card. By the way, waterhead helped me out when I had DSLinux installed and it wouldn't load my PCMCIA card or connect either and I went to NimbleX as the cure.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    I found out 128 ram was ok before I got your message and downloaded NimbleX 2008rc. Everything went well with the download and the burn to cd, I then put the cd into the computer I need it for and the boot went good, had I bit of a problem with user and password as I did not know what this could be but I got over it and had a complete boot up then still no connection but things look much better as the light was blinking on the card which has not happened any other time so if I can find some info on configuring it I have a feeling I will be successful I will let you and waterhead know. I am tired computers for tonight so will find time tomorrow to continue with it, wish me luck.

Good luck then. On the bottom r/h of taskbar should be a small dual moniter icon and next to that should be 2 red bars. That is where eth0 and ath0 connection status is found. Again good luck.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Guru
    Run the lsmod command again to see what wireless modules might be loading. Also check the output of dmesg for wireless messages/errors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast