Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am a complete Linux newby, but did a bit of C and UNIX programming 11 years ago (so am extemely rusty). I am trying to re-use a 9 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Damn Small Linux Help

Hi

I am a complete Linux newby, but did a bit of C and UNIX programming 11 years ago (so am extemely rusty). I am trying to re-use a 9 year old laptop, just for internet access and have installed the latest version of DSL on it (once I had finally managed to get it to boot from a floppy). I have managed to get all that up and running but I want to be able to use a Speedtouch 330 modem to connect to the internet.

I have read posts all over, downloaded source code for the speedtouch, but can never get off the starting block as tcc doesnt seem to be able to find the headers it needs. I suspect that I'm being supremely stupid (and this question is far too basic for the vast majority of users), but can anyone tell me how I can compile this code (as tcc doesn't seem to be able to) and then how I install the thing.

Additional note, I tried to download gcc, but when I untar'ed the files, the multitude of files that came out confused the hell out of me and again, I didn't know where to start.

Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello and Welcome!

As far as installing the software, assuming it was indeed source code, take a look at this walk-through provided by techieMoe. It should get you going. Let us know if it still gives any issues!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!

Unhappy

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. It seems I should have searched through this extremely comprehensive website more thoroughly before posting in sheer desperation. The page you directed me to helped in my understanding of Linux (a bit of a refresher too), but DSL's compiler tcc is proving to be inordinately obsructive (and I seem to be missing loads of header files). For instance, when I type "make" in the same directory as a Makefile, it says "command not found" (tmake gets the same response). Again, I am probably doing something extremely dumb but my lack of knowledge of Linux is defeating me. I am on the verge of giving up completely as it all seems to be just a bit too difficult. And all I wanted to do was use an old laptop for websurfing........ Setting up and installing drivers to use an old modem seems to be beyond me.

A great many thanks for your help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hello again!

The Speedtouch 330 modem is a bit of a problem, see here, but some good info can be found on the DSL Wiki. It looks like you'll have to configure your PPP dialer to connect to the modem. I've not done this personally, but that should be covered either on the DSL or Debian wiki.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.