Find the answer to your Linux question:
While fixing a problem previously, i re-installed windows several times. However since parititons are not labeled properly during the installation process, i accidentally installed windows on the wrong partition, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using linux live CD to remove old windows installation files

While fixing a problem previously, i re-installed windows several times. However since parititons are not labeled properly during the installation process, i accidentally installed windows on the wrong partition, and possibily 2 partitions.

I can see SOME of the old installation files(program files folder for example) on one of the partitions, but despite being an administrator and tinkering with file permissions, i cannot seem to give myself the authorization to remove the folder.

So a friend suggested to use boot into linux where permissions wont be a problem and delete away the old files.

Did some searching, made a damn small linux live CD. Booted into it fine, then went into file manager and realised that i could only see the files that were on the CD.

And i really dont want to install linux on "a seperate partition" as DSL is telling me it needs to do, just to remove the old windows installation files.

Does anyone have any suggestions here? Is there some other distro i can make a live CD out of to do it?

You must mount a partition in order to work with it.
    This may be strange if you are unfamiliar with linux.
    The Ubuntu live cd automatically mounts all partitions
    and they appear on the desktop, so you may find it
    to be more user-friendly.

Just Joined!
    A bit confused with this partition mounting thing now.

To make it simple, say, i mount all partitions with the ubuntu live CD...i assume they take up HDD space in the meantime. After i finish what im doing, and want to remove linux/unmount the partitions to free up the space, how easy is it to do it?

Click on the little red square on top right hand of taskbar. Select shutdown. Eject cd after shutdown. You are done. They are unmounted.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks, worked great with no hassle. Only problem is i seem to be unable to delete the "users" folder windows creates upon an installation...ubuntu says no such operation can be performed, or something to that effect.