Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello everybody, i studied the website 'linuxfromscratch.org'. i went through online documentation and built linux from scratch. the size of the os is 700 MB. i have ported the OS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

reducing the OS size

hello everybody,
    i studied the website 'linuxfromscratch.org'. i went through online documentation and built linux from scratch.
    the size of the os is 700 MB.
    i have ported the OS onto an i386 single board computer (by storing the OS in a IDE flash) and its working fine.
    i would like to reduce the OS to 100MB or even less. how to proceed?
    can i incorporate busybox into lfs inorder to reduce the size. if yes how to proceed?

Just Joined!
    Inorder to make your os small you need to use lzma compression where ever you can, cause that is the best compression availabe for now. Even kernel and initrd compression methods can be changed to lzma, compress .ko file like puppy developer, but for that you need to write your own initrd scripts, and use sqlzma for compressing the filesystems, and use low memory consuming desktop environment insted of gnome or kde. I hope this things will help you make your os smaller....

Happy Hacking!!!

SkyKnight

Just Joined!

hi

hi thanks a lot... ill try that.
    do u have any sources/documents that tell me about lzma or should i just google from the net.

Just Joined!
    I have source but its better to go and try in google cause u can gain much knowledge when you search for it.......

google is ur wife, man and info r ur bro and sis!!! they can do more.....

Happy Hacking

Sky Knight

Just Joined!

hi

sure... thanks...let me spend some time with my family!!!!!