Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdy yall I recently came into possesion of two rack servers. One gives a Grub Error 25 whenever I install any linux distro on it, but it runs very well ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Cent OS

Howdy yall

I recently came into possesion of two rack servers. One gives a Grub Error 25 whenever I install any linux distro on it, but it runs very well with windows.

The other came with an OS already on it known as Cent OS. My question is this, is there some way that I can gain access to the Root user, then delete everything that I don't want on it?

I have already contacted the company that these servers came from and they refuse to disclose the password (can't say I blame them). They boot into the user just fine, but its only a user and not an administrator.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check this HowTo for several ways of resetting the root and/or user password(s):

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-password.html
    oz

hello again ozar. Thanks for the link. I'm acually not that new, i've been around for a while (check my join date if you don't belive me), just been inactive.

I just opened the case, and hooked up and IDE Disk Drive, to install the newest Mandriva...now I just have to figure out how to reformat the second disk when I hook it back up...

now I just have to figure out how to reformat the second disk when I hook it back up...
    You can use any PartedMagic or GParted LiveCDs to reformat partitions of any disk. I think GParted is available in Mandriva too.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks, i'll do that tonight...um...how does one go about doing that?a

GParted and PartedMagic LiveCDs have Graphical Interfaces. It will list all available partitions of all disks. Just select any and format/resize or create new partitions.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

oz
    forum.guy
    Both of them have good documentation on their respective websites (if it should be needed), as well.
    oz