Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have successfully installed DSL on my old Dell Dimension V400 (Pentium II, 124M of RAM). The problem has come when I attempted to connect to my LAN using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[Damn Small Linux] Network Connection Problem

Hello,
    I have successfully installed DSL on my old Dell Dimension V400 (Pentium II, 124M of RAM). The problem has come when I attempted to connect to my LAN using my D-Link USB wireless adapter (DWL-G122 v.A2). I followed this tutorial on the Ubuntu website on how to used Ndiswrapper to install the windows driver on Linux. I don't believe it included anything that wouldn't work on any Linux distribution with Ndiswrapper. I was able to install the windows driver, which I downloaded here (on my MacBook, which I'm writing this on), transferred to my USB flash drive, and put it on the Dell computer (mounting it was quite a struggle, I might add). However, I don't know quite where to go from here. When I followed the part of the guide that told me to do this:
    Code:
      sudo ifdown wlan0
      sudo ifup wlan0
    , it returned:
    Code:
    ifdown: Ignoring unknown interface wlan0
    and
    Code:
    ifup: Ignoring unknown interface wlan0
    I would really appreciate any help that could be given.

Thank you ahead of time,
    Arc

DSL's kernel is so old that you need to use the WinNT (Win95, 98, ME, 2000) Drivers for it.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by weatherkid View Post
    DSL's kernel is so old that you need to use the WinNT (Win95, 98, ME, 2000) Drivers for it.
    I downloaded the Windows 2000 driver from the D-Link website, and repeated the same process (after uninstalling the windows XP driver). Once I get to the point where the tutorial tells me to type "iwconfig", it returns the interfaces "lo" and "eth0". Then, there is a warning:
    Warning: Driver for device wlan0 recommend version 18 of Wireless Extension, but have been compiled with version 16, therefore some driver features may not be available...
    It then goes on to give the "wlan0" interface information:
    Code:
    wlan0
    IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.437GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00
    And so on.
    Where do I go from here?