Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there, I have recently instilled Kubuntu on my laptop, after playing with it for a while I decided to switch on the special effects. After a while the screen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post Kubuntu 8.10 problem

Hello there,
    I have recently instilled Kubuntu on my laptop, after playing with it for a while I decided to switch on the special effects. After a while the screen turns white and a couple of seconds later black. The only thing that I can see is the mouse cursor on the screen, nothing else. If Iím restarting the computer I can run without any problems windows but not kubuntu.
    Any help will much appreciated

I am not sure if you are using compiz or the build in KDE4 effects (assuming KDE 4 (It has the big black panel or "taskbar" at the bottom by default)) but I have heard that this is a common problem, mostly due to there being no "click here if this works, or it wil be reset in 10 seconds" dialog once you enable the effects. I would recommend booting your live CD again, but you don't need to re-install. Try deleting the folders in your home called ".kde" and/or ".kde4"

PS: If you have accumulated any important settings or email, save them somewhere else first!
    When I find myself burried in errors, Windows Help appears to me; speaking words of wisdom, Reboot!