Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just installed (Hard drive) DSL onto my notebook Dell Inspiron 7500 and have worked out how to download apps but I don't know how to access them. Or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Damn Small Linux using apt-get etc

I have just installed (Hard drive) DSL onto my notebook Dell Inspiron 7500 and have worked out how to download apps but I don't know how to access them. Or open? I read a wiki called 'Installing From A MyDSL Repository' but after the download I am not sure what to do. Anotherwords I don't understand the instructions on what to do. I have been using Ubuntu and Debian although I gave up on Debian as I was getting nowhere. I downloaded Skype, Thunderbird, Iptables, Xgalaga and a couple of other apps.
    I also don't know how to backup before shutting down as the systems keeps asking me too. I am not clear on how to go about it.
    I tried the DSL forum first before coming here but after registering I wasn't allowed to post for some reason but their site says on the bottom 2004 so maybe it is maintained anymore?
    Would appreciate any help as my notebook couldn't run with Ubuntu anymore(just too old) and DSL seems so much faster!

Just Joined!
    I am wondering if you really need such a small distro. DSL was designed to fit in 50MB so that it would go on a 'business card' CD and there are other small distros you may like to try, eg DSL-Not, which is like DSL but without the 50MB limit, or Puppy Linux, which was born in Australia. What desktop environment were you on when you ran Ubuntu? Both Gnome and KDE are fairly demanding and XFCE is a lot less so; this is the one you get if you install Xubuntu. XFCE needs 64MB of memory min tho 128MB is recommended. I used to run DSL on a broken laptop but it died so I can't say anything about your other questions.

Linux Newbie
    I really don't have a lot of choices on what distro to install as I don't have much internet usage so I can try many of them. I only have 2gig per month and still pretty much a beginner in using Linux.
    Yes I think I tried to install Puppy sometime ago but I don't remember the hassles I had. Ah ok so it is Australian....where I am actually!
    I used a mixture of Gnome and KDe but still have no idea of the difference. I have also used Debian but it was no good on this notebook. It was fine on my desktop but I am better off with Ubuntu because I am not experienced enough yet. I have wasted too much time trying to work out how to use and little time using.
    I would rather work out how to use dsl for a while than move to another distro because of my usage limit. As it is I had to ask someone else to download any distro I have had. Oh I have also used Ubuntustudio which is just Ubuntu with multimedia apps included. That is the trouble with Australia it is too expensive to get the net and then it is restricted both usage wise and the speeds are ****.