Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, My sis has just bought this lappy and is now asking me for help. She didn't realise it came with Linux for a start and I have no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New Acer inspire one with Linux Lite

Hi there,

My sis has just bought this lappy and is now asking me for help. She didn't realise it came with Linux for a start and I have no experience with it either. I have had a search for anti-virus software/firewall and have found lots of info saying I do not need it but lots of very complex computer talk too. Is this version still just as safe as it is a lite version? If I do not need AV do I need a firewall? If I do need one of either is there any lite programs that would not slow down the system too much? This lappy will be used with a wireless bt home hub and files will be moved between it and a windows laptop.
    Please feel free to just post links for me to look at, as I'm sure this question has been asked a hundred times.

Lisa

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check this short guide to security to determine if you need/want any security applications for Linux:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-security.html

Some run them, and some don't, depending on their computing habits and what they are using their computer for.
    oz