Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using an Intel 536EP modem in Xandros desktop home edition 4.0 and I keep getting the error "modem initilization failed" whenever I try to connect....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Modem initilization failed

I'm using an Intel 536EP modem in Xandros desktop home edition 4.0 and I keep getting the error "modem initilization failed" whenever I try to connect.

Now it just hangs like the retarded piece of crap that it is on "modem initilization".

Hiya, do you already have the driver installed for this modem? Have you tried changing the settings so that it points at /dev/modem or /dev/stty1 ? Try them all! I know it sounds stupid but it's been a really long time since I have used a modem. Sometimes just tinkering with it will help. Are you using a Dialer like KPPP or wvdial?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Xandros already has this bastard installed. I've left it on for like 40 minutes and it just stays at "initilizing modem".

Yeah, if it doesn't initialize after about 10-15 seconds, it isn't going to.
    Have you tried tinkering with the settings? Do you have some kind of GUI dialer with Xandros?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

It's Xandros's own dialer. It works like a piece of garbage. I have tried 3 other modems, which were all detected by Xandros, and everytime I tried to dial in I get an "operation failed" message.