Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I've got a little problem. I am doing LFS, book 6.4 and in chapter 5.8 (Adjusting the tool chain) I run into a problem. I need to do: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

LFS problem, chapter 5.8

Hey all,

I've got a little problem. I am doing LFS, book 6.4 and in chapter 5.8 (Adjusting the tool chain) I run into a problem. I need to do:

Code:
    mv -v /tools/$(gcc -dumpmachine)/bin/{ld,ld-old}
    But when I do so I het the error: No such file or directory
    I have done:

Code:
    echo $(gcc -dumpmachine)
    and the output was: "i486-pc-linux-gnu". I have in the directory /tools some similar directories:
    - i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
    and:
    - I686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-4.3.2

I am using the LFS live cd. I have had a compiler error with glibc while trying to compile it. here's my note of it:

GlibC-tools --- (native) -mtune=switch --- solved by removing option

A google search resulted in nothing but info on old books and don't make much sense anymore on this book. I can't find anything in the FAQ either. Can someone help me?

I'd be realy greatful if you could help me to tackle this problem.

Never mind, I just replaced the 4 in i486-pc ... with a 6 manually and now I hope it'll work.

I'm not sure about the fix as of yet, but last night I ran into similar problems compiling the CRUX 2.5 kernel. I think the new version of gcc (4.3.2) is having some issues at this point. Would you be able to use the previous version (4.2.2)?

I really don't have any other ideas, but maybe that will help?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

isn't the LFS live CD using 4.1.2??

and how do I check that?

According to Distrowatch, LFS uses 4.3.2. Like I said though, I ran into the same thing last night, and haven't gotten around it yet
    I plan on trying again later tonight, so if I get something going I'll post back.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Found it out already, and it is using version 4.1.2

Maybe the problem is there a bit longer. Let's just wait for other responses.

I am using the Live CD, I still haven't got a working system. The Live CD is my host system with compiler that I am using. I am in chapter 5.10 already and encountering another problem XD. Expect won't get compiled and gives a whole list of errors. Things like has no member named 'wait'.

I have added to my msn name: --- I hate compiler errors!

I have found the source of this error though, according to a site expect.nist.gov or something like says that expect 5.43 isn't designed to work with tcl 8.5, so that's not nice. I have to find a newer version.

Edit: Made a small reading mistake (don't expect me to work at full capacity at 0:30), I think it should support it, but I am just a bit too tired. I'm just going to sleep now, and I'll see in the morning.