Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm a total newbie at Linux and I need some help from the people here on what Distribution is the most stable and easy to use. My best friend has ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Talking I'm looking for a good and stable Distribution.

I'm a total newbie at Linux and I need some help from the people here on what Distribution is the most stable and easy to use.

My best friend has Linux on his computer and he said that it is using the GNOME desktop. So I would like for a Distribution that has the GNOME desktop as the default.

Linux Guru
    For anyone new to Linux I would generally recommend one of the 'big three' - Fedora, openSUSE or Ubuntu. I'm personally a fan of Ubuntu and all come with Ubuntu either by default or as an option.

What will you be using it for mostly? And what kind of hardware spec do you have? Just to give a better idea of any special exceptions you might have.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by randomhuman View Post
    I'm a total newbie at Linux and I need some help from the people here on what Distribution is the most stable and easy to use.
    Welcome to the forums!

Users have been arguing over that matter ever since the 2nd Linux distribution ever created hit the streets. What you might find stable and easy could wind up being another user's nightmare. It's best to try a few distros and decide for yourself what is stable on your hardware and is easy for you to use. The three suggested above by BigTom are very popular for new users, as are Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, and a few others.

Check the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux. Hope it works out well and you find the perfect distro for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I'd definitely say Ubuntu or one of it's variants.

I'd also go for the "big three" or Mandriva. If you want absolute stability then try Ubuntu first and when you are comfortable enough go for Debian. Ubuntu is based on Debian but it is more user-friendly. Debian's primary goal is to be super-stable (not that other distros are not stable), but you 'll have an easier first experience with Linux if you go for Ubuntu.