Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm attempting to use Damn Small Linux to recover data from a corrupted computer, however I know virtually nothing about linux. For instance, I have no idea how to mount ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dsl

I'm attempting to use Damn Small Linux to recover data from a corrupted computer, however I know virtually nothing about linux. For instance, I have no idea how to mount a hard drive (internal), or a usb hard drive. Help would be greatly appreciated on these tasks, thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

If you have a GUI in DSL, you can probably just click on any desktop icons representing your various devices.

If not, check this page for some example of mount commands under the command line in Linux.

You can get additional details by running the man command to see the manual page:

Code:
    man mount
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much! That was most helpful and thank you for the welcome. I have one other relevant question: I cannot view the the size of the contents of a folder. For instance if I have a folder called games, and there is 3.46 GB in it, how could I determine that? Thanks!

While I'm here perhaps some kind of introduction to linux type of Wiki/New user guide would be greatly appreciated!

Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, check out all of what rokytnji posted, and check the link in my signature for lots of other good information on getting started with Linux.

LiveCDs such as the one you are already trying make a good way to do a quick check of Linux. They are too slow running from CD/DVD for me to use them all the time, but you can see what Linux looks like and the live versions do make mighty good recovery tools. Try a hard disk install of the distribution of your choice to get the full speed and overall effect of the OS.

Hope you have fun with it.
    oz

Just Joined!
    a suggestion, since you likely wouldn't know this information off hand - DSL comes with the 2.4 kernel, which has very marginal wifi support. they did this to help keep the filesize down, but if you are like me, you need that wifi support. even with ndiswrapper, i couldn't get some wifi cards working on that kernel. if you want to use DSL with wifi at all, i strongly recommend the DSL-N fork. it uses the 2.6 kernel, strongly increasing the chances of wifi working out