Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Yeah... same thing happened with 2.4 as well. First time it happened though, I thought I was double-tapping the <enter> key after typing passwd !...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Yeah... same thing happened with 2.4 as well. First time it happened though, I thought I was double-tapping the <enter> key after typing passwd!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Well I'm dead in the water as I suspected I might be.

It's not a CRUX issue but a driver issue. I posted about this a while back. It is widely reported issue over most all of the popular distros. The newer versions of the e1000 driver for Intel Ethernet cards won't work correctly in a lot of cases. No matter what I do, it says eth0 doesn't exist even after the module is loaded.

I snagged the very latest version of e1000 from SourceForge, compiled it and still no Internet and no recognition of the device. How can a simple Ethernet card that has worked for years all of a sudden be rendered a boat anchor? Very frustrating. There's no way to continue building my system without Internet.

If anyone knows of a fix for this that I've not yet located, please help me out here.
    I guess I'll try building an earlier version of the module and see what happens.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Yeah... I saw that thread, but I never did find anything that looked even remotely helpful.
    On a related note, I'm having a bit of trouble getting a GUI going. startx brings me "Fatal Error: no screens found". I'm gonna try a few things with my xorg.conf and also double check the kernel to make sure I've got all the right ducks in a row. If I can't make any progress though, I'll post a few files, and probably the tail-end of my /etc/var/Xorg.0.log.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Since I run on the same box, I just copy over my xorg from the older to the newer. Is that an option?

That was actually the first thing I tried. Didn't have any luck, so I also tried the xorg from Knoppix, and even from Gparted. Now I finally ran xorgconfig to see if anything good would come out of it. No luck there. So I'm gonna check my kernel now for drivers/modules.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Had a hal/fam related problem with xorg not so long ago on Arch ... I think things have been changed regarding hardware detection ... may or may not be helpful ...

Ed: actually thinking about it this may not be related ... x server version 1.5 input handling was changed ... it stopped the mouse working initially for me

Had a hal/fam related problem with xorg
    I'm not advanced enough to really know what you mean by that, Jonathan. Care to elaborate?
    Jay

New Member FAQ

What makes you think i'm advanced enough !

... they changed the way x server detects hardware I think at version 1.5 ... the mouse stopped working for me because I was not running fam daemon at the time. I think the Arch wiki has been updated because I'm sure it used to say something different about xorg when I originally had the problem

Looking through my pacman.log file all I found was ...
    Code:
    [2008-12-01 13:29]   Input device handling has changed in xorg-server 1.5.
    [2008-12-01 13:29]   Please read http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_input_hotplugging.
    [2008-12-01 13:29]
    [2008-12-01 13:29] upgraded xorg-server (1.4.2-2 -> 1.5.3-2)
    and a couple of later updates with no comments

... I don't remember a display problem at the time so it may not be related ...
    Ed: actually I remember I ended up with a line like this I had to comment out to make things work again ...
    Code:
    #       RgbPath      "/usr/share/X11/rgb"

Well I'm moving again! I recompiled the kernel with out the e1000 module, then went to Sourceforge and downloaded the e1000e module instead. Compiled it and it works great!

I was just configuring X a few minutes ago myself. I did notice my mouse wasn't working so went ahead and installed the Nvidia 3d driver and was copying over my xorg from 2.4. Interesting y'all should be talking about this right now! I'll let you know how mine goes...

Interesting twist here. I had to recompile. There was new option that held the video drivers for my card. Got it built-in and got a GUI but no mouse. Rebooted with the intention of copying my 2.4 xorg over, and have some sort of hardware failure where the PC won't even boot with a LiveCD.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast