Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Hello all! I been looking over the online installation handbooks for CRUX 2.4 as compared to 2.5, and found no discernible differences. Therefore, I have a weekend project, and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Running Commentary on CRUX 2.5

Hello all!
    I been looking over the online installation handbooks for CRUX 2.4 as compared to 2.5, and found no discernible differences. Therefore, I have a weekend project, and I want to keep a running commentary going to let you know if there are any major incidents or foul-ups.

Part 1 was downloading the .iso. No problems there.
    Part 2 now commencing... Installation!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I'll be watching Jay.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I'll be interested to see what happens! I downloaded the 2.5 iso last night... Haven't burned it yet but intend to sometime tomorrow. I'll likely start the install Sunday or Monday. You'll have to steer me through since you went first!
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    You'll have to steer me through since you went first!
    CRAP!
    Better yet, Why not give some steering to each other?
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Update #1
    There seems to be quite a few new options in the kernel configuration. Some of them are less than obvious, such as some things for wifi and audio. New kernel for my box is compiling now.
    I'll get back tomorrow with more progress and info.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

One thing I'm leery of is the kernel. About a month or so ago, I tried updating my 2.4 to 2.6.27.4 and had serious issues with the Intel Ethernet drivers. I could get no Internet at all negating the whole operation. I hope it has been addressed and remedied in the latest kernels since CRUX 2.5 installs 2.6.27.8.

Ya just gotta love it when you think you're rolling along pretty good and the simple things are what trip you up! I have the initial installation complete, and didn't run up against any real problems... until it came time to install GRUB. At first, GRUB refused to recognize either of my drives, but I got half of it fixed up so that I can boot to 2.4. Still having issues with the 2.5 install, though.
    Oh well... probably just a typo somewhere in the menu.lst that I haven't caught yet. I'll get it fixed up and let you guys know if I run into the same problem that Dan mentioned about internet connection.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Unhappy

Okay, I'm stuck. And I still think it's just something that I'm missing in my configuration! I've not really made any progress either. Here's the deal...
    I managed to get everything compiled and installed. Not a single hang-up until it came to installing GRUB. I've been using the same GRUB file ever since I first installed Fedora Core 6, and have been updating since. Now that I've wiped Fedora 8 off of my box, I had to install a new GRUB file. I know it's installed and working, because I can still boot CRUX 2.4 out of it. But for the life of me I can't get it to recognize the 2.5 install! Any ideas?

By the way, GRUB is installed on the drive that contains 2.5 so I know it's there!
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Jay, can you post your menu.lst? If grub boots 2.4 then it should be just a configuration issue. What exactly happens when you try to boot 2.5? Any telling error messages? Also, which file system are you using? XFS by chance?

Here ya go:
    Code:
    boot= /dev/hda1
    default=0
    timeout=10
    hiddenmenu
    title CRUX 2.4
            root (hd1,0)
            kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz
            boot
    title CRUX 2.5
            root (hd0,0)
            kernel (hd0,0)/boot/vmlinuz
            boot
    File system is ext3. Error message is "Error 15: File Not Found". When I boot, GRUB loads up and I have the menu to choose between the two. If I pick 2.4 I can load up with no problems.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast