Find the answer to your Linux question:
this setup will be for my 11 year old younger brother I am looking for linux to put new life into my old dell gx50. so far i have tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

what linux is right for me

this setup will be for my 11 year old younger brother

I am looking for linux to put new life into my old dell gx50. so far i have tried puppy linux, ubuntu (i like puppy more, because its small and fast).
    my specs are the following
    RAM- 1 256mb stick
    1 128mb stick

hdd will be a 4gb that will most likely become a 20GB. ( i have a 4GB ready but may aquire a 20GB)

video- 1mb. ya i know, its integrated
    network- ethernet

uses, surfing the web and transfering files from a psp to the hdd of the pc

it would need to have low maintnnce and be fast for what is needed and i know puppy will do the job but is there anything else.

also
    i am looking into linux to but would never give up xp, so i would like to have a linux to boot from a usb for me. puppy will work fine but then again is there any other distro that can be botted from a usb that has 256mb of storage. (not a big usb.
    i know that if it is only 256mb but i am looking to have a distro that will take advantage of my 2.6 dual core amd cpu and my 3GB.

thanks for any help

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check the following poll for favorite distro for older/weaker computer hardware:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...re-2008-a.html

Hope you are able to find something that will satisfy your needs.
    oz

Maybe DSL(Damn Small Linux) is something for you. I think it will also run on a stick of 256 MB. I'm not really experienced with small Linux distributions but I know DSL and Puppy, and Puppy works great for me, although I use Ubuntu alternate with something like Openbox or enlightenment on older systems.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Look into Mepis AntiX.Main Page - antiX