How To Use partimage on SystemRescueCD

Hi All Of You,
This is my first attempt at a How To. Excuse my clumsiness.
This makes the assumption that you have a separate ext3 or Fat32
partition on your machine with enough room for the image you create. I believe the partition has to be at least as large as
the the one you are trying to copy from. Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong or if anyone sees any errors im my
instructions. This works for me. Here goes.
These instructions apply to what I have learned using partimage.
By all means Use At Your Own Risk.

A Guide to using partimage on the SystemRescueCD.
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS

This assumes a separate ext3 or Fat32 partition. If your Ubuntu install is 4GB or bigger use a ext3
partition.

First download the SystemRescueCD and burn to CD using instructions on site.

Download - SystemRescueCd

All code that follows will be bracketed [ ] do not include brackets. Everything is case sensitive and
include spaces and punctuation marks.
Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from CD first.
After burning CD boot to it on the system you want to backup.
After booting SystemRescueCd, at the prompt

Type [fdisk -l] where the l is a lower case L then hit enter

This will show you your partitions in a table.
You should see your HD listed as either hda or sda, with the individual partitions numbered.
For example hda1 or sda1, hda2 or sda2 etc.
The file system will be listed for each partition.
ext3 will be ext3 and Fat32 will be vfat.
For now say that your spare ext3 or Fat32 partition is listed as hda3 or sda3.
remember that or write it down.
We will now make a directory in ram to mount the partition to.

Type [mkdir /backup] then hit enter. You can name the directory anything you want I like /backup.

Now we will mount the storage partition. Assume it is hda3 and ext3 file system.
On disk it is actually /dev/hda3.

Type [mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /backup] then hit enter. Mind your spacings etc.

This will mount your storage partition in ram at the directory you created earlier.
You will not see confirmation after each enter. Just the prompt. If there is a problem
a error message will appear.
Now we will start partimage, at the prompt

Type [partimage] then hit enter.

Partimage will open with a screen showing all you partitions. Using the arrow keys
highlight your Ubuntu partition (the one you want to image) and press tab.
This will move you to a space labeled * image file to create/use. You can call your image anything you want
but I prefer something descriptive like /backup/hda2partition (assuming hda2 is your Ubuntu partition).
Under action to be done highlight "save image into new image file" using arrow keys and hit
spacebar to select. Hit F5 key.
This will open next screen.
On next screen you can choose compression level. I use no compression. It's quicker.
Highlight your compression level using arrow keys and hit space bar to select. Under "options" leave the default
X's in the "check partition before saving" and "enter description". Using the arrow keys move to "if finished ..."
highlight reboot and hit spacebar to select.
Move down to "image split mode" highlight the second item "Into files whose size is...." hit spacebar to select.
Arrow to right and set size to something bigger than your finished image will be. Hit spacebar to select.
Press F5 and a screen will appear where you can describe you image ( something like Ubuntu 6.06 or whatever)
it's your choice. Hit enter.
Partition image will take a few minutes to examine your partition then an information dialog box will appear.
If no errors hit enter and sit back and wait. There will be a progress bar and counter. Depending on amount of ram available
size of partition image and machine speed this could take some time. After 10 minutes the screen will blank (powersaver)
hit any key to restore progress box. Powersave doess't affect the imaging process just hides the progress. Be patient.
When progress reaches 100% screen will revert to a blue screen.
At bottom will be a dialog about copying used data blocks, the program is still running leave alone. It can take some time.
When done your machine will reboot. Again be patient.
You now will have a "byte by byte" image of you Ubuntu install stored on your ext3 or Fat32 storage partition. You can of
course store other data there just don't disturb you image file.

To restore image pop in your SystemRescueCd an allow it to boot.
After booting

Type [mkdir /backup] hit enter. Assuming the partition the image is stored on is the same as the example earlier (hda3 and
is ext3 file system)

Type [mount -t ext3 /dev/hda3 /backup] hit enter.
If no errors

Type [partimage] hit enter.

Again you will be at the first partimage screen. Scroll down to highlite the Ubuntu partition you want to restore (in this
example hda2) and hit tab.

In space” * Image to create/use” type in your image file name. I our example it was /backup/hda2partition.000 (don't omit
the .000 at the end) Those are zero's and I know they weren't included in the original name, but that is what partimage
named the file it stored. Tab or arrow to "action to be done" and highlite "restore partition from image file". Hit F5 key.
If you entered info above correctly dialog box will appear asking if the description of image is correct. Hit enter
A secon screen will appear leave the top two choices blank and highlite reboot. Hit spacebar to select. Hit F5 to continue.
A confirmation screen will appear with partition info and asking for you to confirm. Hit enter.
Another dialog box will appear asking if you are really sure you want to overwrite. choose yes and hit enter.
Sit back and wait when progress bar reaches 100% computer will reboot. Remove the CD before the
BIOS splash screen to keep from booting disk again.
If everything went well you will have restored to an earlier, not broken Ubuntu.

Hope these instructions are clear enough.