Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK, previous posts have established that I am not a linux guru, however, I have a fundimental understanding of the command line, and I really like Yoper but this problem ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

software installation frustration

OK, previous posts have established that I am not a linux guru, however, I have a fundimental understanding of the command line, and I really like Yoper but this problem outlined below is a show stopper.

I am trying to get a news clip to run in mozilla and mplayer is not being read by any of the webpages I use. It works fine for any dvd/mpeg I play but it will not let me view a simple news clip. I researched mplayer2 and found several 686 debs and rpms, however I cannot seem to use the dpkg -i command in bash. assuming this distro has a fully functional apt system, dpkg should work. Please tell me what I am doing wrong and why such a simple act such as viewing a fox news clip has to consume 2 hours of a persons time. It is completely within the realm of possibility that I am doing something wrong and I really want linux to work for my company, but with glitches such as this, the Linux desktop remains a hobbiest's toy.

thanx

helios

Just Joined!
    Will add the mozilla mplayer plugins to our rpm's. The reason there is no dpkg is that yoper does not use debs with apt-get, it uses yoper spec'd rpms with apt4rpm. So the apt-get command works similarly to debian's apt-get, but instead of dpkg -i, you have to use rpm -Uvh. There are other options to install many different package formats, but its best to stick with what we have in the reopistory so that apt does not break.

We need to add browser plugins to our mplayer rpm, and I'll make sure it gets done quickly.

Just Joined!

thank you

your quick reply is appreciated. further appreciated is your team's response to this shortcoming. I will be looking for these additions as my company relies heavily upon the use of news clips in our work. anything you can do to release the stranglehold Bill Gates has upon us is truely appreciated. Please keep up your work on the development of this distribution. After trying them all, Yoper seems closest to what Linux should be.

thanx

helios

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    The word is we'll have 'em by tomorrow.

mplayer-mozilla & mplayer-kaffiene

Just Joined!

wow

you are awesome. thank you very much

helios